eggs!

THank you!! I have 2 spare cooler! i will ask my brother to help me build it.

I have a 60 watt bulb, and a few pc fans. I wanted to ask you and fatdaddy what kind of container do you guys recommend. I wanted to pick an old pc case, but that will be to small. Which water thermometer would you guys recommend?

I cant say I'v ever been happy with a water heater thermo. I'v did all the tweeks and drilled the holes, messed with the placement and still, in the end they didnt work out for me. I figure ya got 10 bucks in a thermo built for the wide differential of a water heater. lots a deg between on and off. For 10 bucks more ya can get a wafer thermo designed for a incubator... Cant see risk'n weeks of my time or a hatch on 10 bucks. But thats just my opinion and I know many use the water heater thermos with some deg of success. Heres the wafers I use....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wafer-Therm...789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f15df2f2d

I use a foam shipper. The biggest one you can find. I can get'em at the local liquor store or pet shops use them for shipping fish. There cheep. If you can find one of these or a big foam cooler that is 15" square inside, you can use a egg turner which is a great thing too.

I cut a window glass, sometimes from a old picture frame, into the lid so I can see whats go'n on inside.

I just use duct tape to hold the glass in place.... I use a fan out of a puter case mounted to the side of the shipper. I like 2, 40 watt bulbs for heat source. The little short ones for ceiling fans... One would work fine, but two saves a hatch if one burns out in the middle of the night. I mount my thermo on the shipper wall opposite of the fan.... Hold all of this as high in the shipper as you can to give more room in the bottom to turn egg cartons. when its all said and done it should look something like this....

These things will hold rock solid temps. I still use them and have high dollar bators too. They also make good hatchers, Just un-plug the fan and shrink warp'n chicks is no longer a problem at hatch time.
Now for humidity, I use common every day coffee mugs. I run two for incubation and when its time for lock down, add sponges to both and the glass will fog up its so humid. I also us the cups to lean the egg cartons against when hand turning during incubation. I made cardboard carton trays to fit what ever eggs I want to hatch. Just use a exacto knife with tape or staples, works great...

Three times a day, I open the bator. Turn the carton tray thats leaning up on the water filled mugs, 180 degs. and put the lid back on. In less than 30 seconds, i have turned the whole tray worth of eggs and not lost alot of heat or humidity... I sit the trays flat on the bator floor for lock down.... I use a dish towel or rubber shelf liner to cover the floor on the bator.

Hope this helps. If I can be of service, I'll be glad to help... Bill

EDIT TO ADD: Dont forget to cut a couple 1\2" to 3\4" air holes! I forgot that once, but thats another story!

Last edited:
Thank you FatDaddy. I also have a foam shipper but much smaller. I'm going to listen to your advice and call around the pet stores to see if they have those for sale. Just need to go out and buy some egg holders.

Back
Top Bottom