Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcain24, Dec 12, 2012.

1. tcain24

tcain24 New Egg

How long after a hen starts laying can I expect to have full size eggs?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What breed of hen? I don't have chickens but after about 2 weeks of laying my ducks have "Full" size eggs.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's usually only the first one or two eggs that are small, then some hens lay one or two huge double yolkers before they get it right and lay "normal" eggs.

4. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    My chickens laid "normal" eggs around 2 weeks after their first egg.

5. gwenirish11

gwenirish11 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2012
    Highland Michigan
    This was very helpful I just started getting eggs yesterday and was wondering the same thing...my ducks eggs were fairly big when they first started...I was cracking up at the size of the first chicken eggs! So is the first one usually the smallest? I was worried my chickens were eating eggs then I finally got one yesterday...it was super small! I got another today really small aswell! I found yolk on that one..but it was not cracked.... I am guessing I've had three because of that and someone ate it. I have not seen any shells either. So It's good news they were still small? Meaning they did just really start laying? Anyways here's some pictures of the egg yesterday and today.

[​IMG]

Large duck egg to the left

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It takes about two to three months for the eggs to reach full size in most breeds. The first eggs they lay are usually of the size called pullet or peewee on the USDA size chart. And they can drop some odd size eggs and other oddities while they are gearing up.

7. tcain24

tcain24 New Egg

Thanks, I have red and black sex links that have just begun laying and I assumed that the eggs were going to get bigger at some point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by