EGGS!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by itsbob, Dec 27, 2013.

1. itsbob

itsbob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Started getting duck eggs day before yesterday, getting one a day. I'm fairly confident they are muscovy eggs as they are just slightly larger than chicken eggs, about 70 - 76 grams, where Pekin eggs are generally mid 80 grams.

I THIN I can tell the difference between chicken and duck eggs, when you candle chicken eggs there is no pattern, just solid shell, where candled duck eggs show an almost spiral pattern, or striations in the shell..

But other than a guess based on weight I can't tell the difference between type of duck, Pekin or Muscovy.. anyone?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Hmmm good question, only having Muscovy laying i don't know how they compare to other breeds of ducks, my buffs never came into lay last year. Now for chicken eggs duck eggs are usually much larger and my scovie eggs have a waxier coating.. poor description but they are different plus my chickens lay coloured eggs anyways lol

I have only ever candled eggs for hatching purposes so you know more than i do on the insides... hopefully, others with more varied breeds will comment

3. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    You can tell a chicken egg from a duck egg by smell. Duck eggs smell like lake water. I have no idea how you would tell the breed though unless they laid different colors or were separated.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    My duck eggs vary considerably by breed. Pekin eggs were always the largest eggs. Type Pekin egg into google search, then hit images. Do same for Muscovy. That should help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by