Eggtopsy *GRAPHIC PICS*

Rainier

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Thurston County, WA
For those that have been hatching for awhile can you give your thoughts and opinions on when you think they died, what day?

Egg 1
This chick had no movement for at least 24 hours before lock down. It's little foot stayed in the same place. In my heart I know this chick died shortly after the last video I took of him/her. The shell peeled right off and I was able to actually peel the entire shell off with the outer and inner membrane intact. Eggs 1, 2, and 3 are all the neighbor chicks. Chick 4 is from our flock. BR cockerel and RIR (hatchery chick) pullet. Chick 4 had the least amount of yolk in the egg. Looks like most of the yolk was absorbed. That egg is the only one I saw moving on 18 right before lock down.

In this picture you can see that the inner membrane was not pipped.

Little foot. This is the chick I have posted of his foot in the video and a picture.

In this picture I had peeled the outer membrane but the inner was still intact.

Egg 2 I didn't see any movement at lock down

Egg 3 I didn't see any movement at lock down

Egg 4 Chick from our flock. The last time I saw movement in this chick was on day 18 right before lock down.

ETA
Incubator - LG 9200 still air
Day 1 - 18 temp 101 and humidity 30%
Day 19 - 22 - temp 101 and humidity 55%
Had a temp spike on day 15. Temp got up between 106 - 110.

Last edited:
Going by this chart: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8neZDScBg...gvsraPfBQ/s1600/chick_embryo_development1.jpg

Egg 1- Days 15-16
Egg 2- hard to tell but I would say around the same time as 15-16
Egg 3- day 15
Egg 4- I would say day 18-19

This is just my opinion. Maybe someone more experienced will come along. I use the chart above for my own eggtopsy.

Great link, never saw that before. I had a temp spike on day 15. Egg 4 was set a day behind the others not sure how it survived the spike.

Last edited:
Great link, never saw that before. I had a temp spike on day 15. Egg 4 was set a day behind the others not sure how it survived the spike.

I haven't had very good luck with my hatches so I found that link searching the internet looking to see what happened to my chicks. I finally installed a thermostat in my incubator so I think this time around we will have some hatches. Only had 1 hatch last time.

Last hatch we had a huge temp spike that killed remaining eggs and a chick that was zipped. Temp went up to 116.

Last edited:
I haven't had very good luck with my hatches so I found that link searching the internet looking to see what happened to my chicks. I finally installed a thermostat in my incubator so I think this time around we will have some hatches. Only had 1 hatch last time.

Last hatch we had a huge temp spike that killed remaining eggs and a chick that was zipped. Temp went up to 116.

My spike was between 106 and 110 (had to go back and check my incubation records). It doesn't help that we were having really odd weather. It would be in the low 70's one day and then in two days it would be in the high 80's, we even had a couple of days where it was 100 degrees. We live in a single wide mobile home with no AC or central heat. We heat by wood burning stove.

Last edited:
My spike was between 106 and 110 (had to go back and check my incubation records). It doesn't help that we were having really odd weather. It would be in the high 70's one day and then in two days it would be in the high 80's. We live in a single wide mobile home with no AC or central heat. We heat by wood burning stove.

Temp spikes are never fun, thats for sure! I was up until 7 am that morning, went to bed until about 10:30 since I was up all night with the other chick. Luckily she was dried off so I put her in the brooder. When I woke up at 10:30 the zipped egg wasn't pooping anymore. opened the incubator sat the 116 and just knew..I opened the eggs and 4 out of the remaining 5 were ready to hatch 3 other were internally piped. This happened on day 20. So mad at myself. So I have a thermostat this time around. I have had no temp spikes with this.

I don't want to put anymore money into this incubator because as a present for getting my bachelor's degree and from Santa I'm getting a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Incubator. It got a lot more stable after I put in some jars with water and some decorative marbles in the bottom. I also moved it from my bedroom to the bathroom. I think the temps are more stable in there. My biggest problem is not having central heat so the night time dips are difficult.

Last edited:
I don't want to put anymore money into this incubator because as a present for getting my bachelor's degree and from Santa I'm getting a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Incubator. It got a lot more stable after I put in some jars with water and some decorative marbles in the bottom. I also moved it from my bedroom to the bathroom. I think the temps are more stable in there. My biggest problem is not having central heat so the night time dips are difficult.

Yeah, understandable. I got the thermostat I have now for pretty cheap. When I build a bigger one I am going to be using a water heater one. Ours wasn't very stable without since we don't have our heat on yet the room temp would fluctuate with outdoor temps and would cause temps in the incubator change also. What kind of incubator you have now? Is it homemade?

Yeah, understandable. I got the thermostat I have now for pretty cheap. When I build a bigger one I am going to be using a water heater one. Ours wasn't very stable without since we don't have our heat on yet the room temp would fluctuate with outdoor temps and would cause temps in the incubator change also. What kind of incubator you have now? Is it homemade?

I have a Little Giant 9200 still air. I am a hands on type of person so I really like that about this incubator. I will still use it but I also wants to hatch out some more expensive chicks and I have a project with Lemon Cuckoo Orpintons that I want to do so I need a more stable incubator.

Last edited:
besides your spike how was your temp and humidity? A lot of factors could have been the reason behind the early quitters. A lot of people have success with dry hatch. It's what I use. If it wasn't for my temps killing the chicks I believe I would have had a good hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom