Eggtopsy, What Do You All Think.

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Happy Friday,
I am hatching 2 batches of Olive Eggers. So far in the older batch I have 4 healthy chicks. The last egg I had a feeling was dead. Cracked it open and I was right. I havent lost a baby like this since I first tried hatching Muscovies.

When I hatched the muscovies it was the first time hatching anything I had the humidity 55% (box instructions) and they grew to term some pipped but all died. Opened them up the poor ducklings where all surrounded with fluid.

This little guy seemed very similar. Not as much fluid but it was pretty wet. I know the Humidity was not the problem this time around. I did a semi dry hatch. Adding water occasionally letting it dry out. Average humidity was 25-30% Another factor may have been a heat spike. When I put them in the hatching incubator for lock down there was a temp spike. Went to 105 for about 40 min.

Have some pics, any ideas of what went wrong?

As you can see never broke the membrane.
DSC_0052.JPG

Very wet looking. But incubation humidity was only 25-35%, lockdown 60-66%
DSC_0054.JPG

This was a nice large chick too :( Died before totally absorbing the yolk.
DSC_0056.JPG

Last edited:
4 chicks hatched out of how many eggs?
What day did they hatch on?

It will take some time for the internal egg temperature to rise as high as the air temp. An embryo the last couple days or so can tolerate short periods of high temps.

4 out of 5. They hatched a little early. First one pipped on day 18 and a half. Last one hatched day 20. So far the second batch of 6 is coming along well. I put them in the incubator 2 days after the others. One just hatched, one zipping right now and one pip.

Day 18-20 is a lot early, not a little early. If temperature is accurate throughout, one should be able to set their clock by when they hatch. My suggestion is to lower your temperature since it was high throughout for that setting.

Back
Top Bottom