Eglu or Handcrafted Portable Coop?

Quote:
Have you seen these garden coops?

http://www.thegardencoop.com/

I think these are much better designs. If you're not handy yourself or don't want the bother, you may be able to find someone locally to build for you.

Thay look great!

I agree, and that's a consideration but to me it's the last on the list. It's much more important, I think, to have a coop that functions well for both the chickens and the chicken keeper. If a well functioning set up is also pleasant to the eye, that's the icing on top of the cake.

A coop that's cramped for the number of birds living in it will mean stress for the birds and headaches for the keeper. One that's difficult to keep clean will either make you work hard to keep it sanitary enough for health (and odor control), or you'll just not clean it as much as you should which could lead to disease in your flock and more trouble for you. I like to be able to take care of my chicken chores in 15 minutes in the morning, then five minutes at night, and have my coop almost as neat and clean as the day the chickens first stepped inside.

There are quite a few coop designs out there that elevate form over function, I think. They look very nice, to be sure, but I think it would be quite difficult to actually keep chickens there day in and day out.

Back
Top Bottom