Egyptian Fayoumis, anyone?

Dinornis

Chirping
Oct 12, 2019
VT, united states
Has anyone every kept Fayoumis? If so, how do you like them?

My dear Fayoumi hen, Rex, is easily one of the most interesting birds i've ever kept. She's smaller than everyone else in the coop but, surprisingly, is rarely picked on. She's rather skittish, so she's not too fond of us holding her (which is totally fine and understandable), unlike our "lap-chickens'', the golden buffs.

Most distinctive is her call. While everyone else keeps a consistent buk-buk-buk, Rex frequently utters high-pitched, grating braaaaaaaak!'s as well. I think she's our "watchbird''. When a hawk flew overhead (or when I approached in a different route than I usually do) she cried out and everyone bolted. She also is constantly hanging out on a high stump, her large eyes pointed at the sky.

Never had them but I hear they are great layers. The skittish-ness is to be expected as they are allegedly 'high strung'...
How does she do with the winter cold?

She's not too much of a fan. I assume since she originated from Egypt that she's more into warmer weather, and that her thinner frame doesn't conserve heat as well as a larger bird would. That's not to say she HATES the snow, but she hangs out inside more often than not.

I had a cockerel years ago (the free MMcM chick!) and loved him! He started throwing his little head back and crowing at 28 days of age, adorable!
He moved to another farm, as he was the wrong cockerel for my flock, but this breed has interested me ever since. I wonder about cold tolerance too, so please update.
Mary

I'm considering getting a couple of these lovelies this year. I live in Lyle WA, and we have fairly cold and windy winters here. Wondering if they would do ok? Although I'm new to this location (we just moved from about 30 minutes away a month ago) I know it tends to hover in the teens to mid 30s in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom