Egyptian Fayoumis

monicaei1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Hello all!

I am new to the forum (been lurking a while) and have questions about my birds. I live in a suburban setting and have 4 fayoumis. They are awesome, friendly, noisy, flighty, pretty birds. Our first chickens. About four months old now. They have a very nice large coop where they sleep, but insist on being free range yard chickens from 6am- 8pm. they are well guarded by my two dobermans who take the job of protecting them from predators VERY seriously ;-) So my questions are as follows..

1) Does anyone have pics of adult fayoumis hens? I would like a size perspective. My girls seems small, and wondering how much more they will grow

2) Is there ANY way to quiet them in the am? They rise with the sun and will cluck and squak until i drag my *** out of bed and into the back to open the door to the VERY NICE coop and let them run around the yard.

3) As stated above they spend most of their time roaming around (and parked by the back door pooping on my patio) so I am worried I will not have any idea where to look for eggs. They have nest boxes in the VERY NICE coop, but somehow I doubt thats where they will lay ;-)

4) WHY DO THEY HATE THE VERY NICE COOP??? It took me a month to build that thing!!!!!

Anyway... hello all! Advice on fayoumis?

welcome-byc.gif

Egyptian Fayoumis is a small chicken. Hens only get 4 lbs and rooster 5 lbs. they lay a small egg also. they are known to be noisy rooster crowing early and often. Check this site for more info on them http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Keep an eye on them and you can usually spot where they lay their eggs. I have one hen that INSISTS on laying in the woods. I swear she will hold her eggs in until she can get out to her nest in the forest. I figured out pretty quickly where she was going and now I know where to look. I haven't been able to break her of that habit, and now I don't try for fear that she will choose a new nesting site and I'll have to start searching again. Aren't chickens funny?

Have fun. Good luck.
Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks. I had considered wing clipping. Don't want to if I don't have too. The yard is fenced with a 6' wooden privacy fence. Their flight seems mostly restricted to the horizontal takeoff when they are chasing each other. Will they actually be able to fly out at some point?

lol - that made me laugh - i have 5 fayoumis from an assorted batch .....keeping my fingers crossed for females :) luckily no one sleeps next close to the coop

Back
Top Bottom