Egyptian Geese

Kadjain

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Tehama, Nor Cal (way nor)
I just picked up two pair of Egyptian Geese. I've been raising other poultry and ducks for years but they are my first geese. Did I make a huge mistake? I set my mind on them cause I want Geese but don't want the huge breeds. I plan on keeping them penned.
I had to have my mother pick them up for me as they were in her area and it is a day drive for me to get there. I wanted to get Egyptians for a while so I'm really glad she helped me out.
From what I research the biggest problem is aggression but that doesn't worry me. Right now I just have them in a 5x20 run but plan on separating them when I can tell that they are in pairs. The lady my mother picked them up from didn't know anything about them. My mother thinks it was her husbands operation. She says they had many different fowl. She didn't know their age or anything so we are blind on their history. They have been pinioned, I can tell that.

Question for anyone who has eaten them .. . How do they compare to other Geese or Muscovy duck, carcass and taste ?

Last edited:
Have not eaten them....seems kinda expensive got a bird that costs $25-35 live and will probably only dress out at about 3 pounds. I assume they will be extremely lean...nothing like domestics making preparation more sensitive to drying out.

Clint

Since you are new to these let me tell you a bit about them. As soon as they are mated up which happens about this time of year......they turn pretty ferocious and have to be handled like you would a breeding pair of oriental chickens. Males will fight to the death if they don't have room to get away. On a positive note....they look like they are very well marked.

They will also kill your other waterfowl. They can kill birds up to a swan size.

Walt

Last edited:
I've got them w the rest of my poultry now but I am moving soon and will make separate areas for each pair. They don't seem to be interested in mating now as they are all together all the time. They are mean to the chickens but tolerate any of my ducks just fine.
I was happy that they are so nicely colored.

Last edited:
I've got them w the rest of my poultry now but I am moving soon and will make separate areas for each pair. They don't seem to be interested in mating now as they are all together all the time. They are mean to the chickens but tolerate any of my ducks just fine.
I was happy that they are so nicely colored.

Just pay attention to how they act. When they mate up and have a nest they will come after you too. I have had these for 35 years. Do you go to the Humboldt Poultry Fanciers show? I'm in Santa Rosa.

Walt

Just pay attention to how they act. When they mate up and have a nest they will come after you too. I have had these for 35 years. Do you go to the Humboldt Poultry Fanciers show? I'm in Santa Rosa.

Walt
I have been to the Humboldt Poultry Fanciers show once but quickly got nervous about possibility of bringing any disease home to spread through my birds so I have never been back.

Last edited:
Yes, the geese are beautiful. I live in south Florida (near the Everglades) and have about ten Egyptian Geese wondering throughout my property. I have a pair who do not leave each other's side who are friendly and will gladly greet me when I come home or if I'm in the backyard or near the lake. Mom and Pop goose have raised two nests of chicks and when the time was right, presented them to me by allowing the chicks to take water and small pieces of bread from my hand. The chicks have all grown and flown away and Mom and Pop are not parenting at this time. Yesterday, Mom goose was hit and killed by a car and Pop has been searching for her everywhere. It appears this loss has devastated Pop as his calls and loud 'awssssss' remain unanswered. It's one of the saddest things I've seen.

I'm unable to find any information regarding the care of an Egyptian Goose after the loss of a mate. Pop wanders free, alone in his search and will eat from my hand but I have no ther help or advice of what more I might do for him. If you know of anyone who may have had some experience with helping an Egyptian Goose after the loss of a mate, please let me know. (I'll post a short video and some pics of the pair.)

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful birds and keep us posted on their they're doing.Your geese are truly beautiful and I wish you the best in caring and loving them. (The Youtube video is great!)

Yes, the geese are beautiful. I live in south Florida (near the Everglades) and have about ten Egyptian Geese wondering throughout my property. I have a pair who do not leave each other's side who are friendly and will gladly greet me when I come home or if I'm in the backyard or near the lake. Mom and Pop goose have raised two nests of chicks and when the time was right, presented them to me by allowing the chicks to take water and small pieces of bread from my hand. The chicks have all grown and flown away and Mom and Pop are not parenting at this time. Yesterday, Mom goose was hit and killed by a car and Pop has been searching for her everywhere. It appears this loss has devastated Pop as his calls and loud 'awssssss' remain unanswered. It's one of the saddest things I've seen.

I'm unable to find any information regarding the care of an Egyptian Goose after the loss of a mate. Pop wanders free, alone in his search and will eat from my hand but I have no ther help or advice of what more I might do for him. If you know of anyone who may have had some experience with helping an Egyptian Goose after the loss of a mate, please let me know. (I'll post a short video and some pics of the pair.)

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful birds and keep us posted on their they're doing.Your geese are truly beautiful and I wish you the best in caring and loving them. (The Youtube video is great!)
That's so sad, poor kid .. .
A pair of mine have finally started breeding and made a nest but no eggs yet. I have them in separate pens (20x40ft).
I've never had geese before these and they really are the best watch dogs. My LGDogs become alert at their alarm calls and start running around the yard looking for trouble. It's cool .. . One night late I was out in the yard and they started an alarm, I looked up and saw the brightest shooting star.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom