Eight (8) Chickens Died today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I am so sorry for the loss of your families chickens, how horrible. I am also sorry that you came here reaching out for comfort and support and did not get it- at least not completely. Negative comments hurt, especially when our heart is already hurting. I think we can all sympathize with that.
Just think though everyone who seemed harsh only has the best intentions for the chickens and love in their heart for animals- that is a wonderful thing and its not everyday we get to see such love expressed for animals. Unfortunately when we are trying to protect the lives of innocent animals empathy and patience for people can sometimes be forgotten. Sending positive thoughts your way.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Common sense would call for courtesy and understanding to someone who has just seen their mother's distress and felt their own. Providing a helpful suggestion, rather just a condemning post, would serve better.
Do YOU have any helpful advice? You had chickens since March, are you an expert now?

BYC is not a "PC world" extension. It is a privately owned and moderated forum, available to the world. The number 1 rule is not political correctness - it is courtesy.

Quote:
The TRUTH doesn't have to hurt. One can share common sense without beating people over the head with it. A little sensitivity can go a long way.

Tell your Mom not to beat herself up - we all learn through experience, and the I'll bet vast majority of us have lost chickens from preventable causes. It does hurt, but then we make things better for our next generation of chicks...

Make sure they have enough shade - I have a large tarp stretched between trees and poles over the run and coop. Also see if your run can include bushes and dirt to dig in. They'll dig cool wallows and lie there a lot. It might be worth moving the coop to get more shade, or breeze.

You do need enough ventilation in the coop. Just bear in mind that in winter, the roost level needs to be enclosed on three sides, with openings up above the chickens. They'll do fine at very cold temps like that, as long as there's not a draft blowing across their bodies while they sleep. (I'm talking about that now, in case it affects any alterations.)

My coop is entirely wire, with trees and a tarp over it, and the chickens will still pant at night in the hot weather. And of course a wire coop has its own vulnerabilities, if it's not built really tight. There's always tradeoffs!

I'm sorry y'all lost those hens. I have a couple that I am sure are not going to make it through this summer, as hot as it already is. I'm running fans, ice water in waterers, a wading pool with a few inches of water for them to stand in, the whole nine yards.

One thing new we're doing this summer, but may not be feasible for everyone - we have a couple of deep wells so we're leaving the hose nozzles open just a touch. Sorta a homemade mister. The birds that aren't brave enough to stand directly under the mist will lay in the cool mud created by the water dripping.

I am so sorry you lost your chickens! You are not alone in your questions either, because up here in Virginia we are having 95-103 degree temps. This is my first summer with chickens and I had just started looking here yesterday for ideas and information about hot temps and chickens. I sat 2 frozen freezer packs covered with ziplock bags into a cardboard box as one poster suggested. The chickens didn't go near it. I froze some small water bottles and now am putting one in the metal waterer to try and keep the water from boiling during the hot times of day. I have been freezing grapes and offering it to them midday. I have 2 large milk jugs in the freezer now to freeze so I can put them in the coop tomorrow. Tonight I even found a stand up mister in the garage that I could use if necessary. Please know that it isn't a fault thing. It could have easily have been my chickens. It isn't because you don't care, but like me-the rapid rise in temps have caught me off guard. I feel your devastation. Lets hope others here who are newer to raising chickens learn something and some others would be less harsh in judging. I come here to find kindness and answers. Even some encouragement, so lets keep that up : ) Hugs to you and please get some more chicks and let us know how it goes. Hugs!!!
smile.png

Quote:
There are a host of reasons why chickens die, when we make assumptions... well I'm sure you know the rest given all your "common sense". Maybe "bold" was too kind a word for your ignorant statement that you are "positive" you know what killed 8 hens that you have no contact with, no visual, no list of behaviors prior to and no information other than "very hot day". If you have nothing productive and positive to say, it's best to lurk and learn from others who do...

First of all, sorry for all of the negative comments that are uncalled for at this time.

Today, we only had temps in the high 80's to low 90's. My birds were panting heavily. I go out several times a day and spray water over their coops with my garden hose. It cools them down quite a bit. I also hose down all sides of the coop and the top of the coop.

I tried the frozen water bottles and mine thought they were boogers and stayed very far away from them, but the tub of ice water sounds like a good idea. I just worry the smaller ones will jump in and drown.

I have tried fans and they quit working even with air hosing the dust out of them. I think they need to be hung from the ceiling or something. I'm fixing to open up one of my coops from the front and put a dog kennel around it, so the air flows all the way through.

I always try to break broody hens when it's this hot, they will just lay in there and die from heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom