Elector PSP for 5-6 week old chicks

KRack

Crowing
Jan 18, 2022
PA
Chicks came out of incubator, so they weren’t hatched by a broody hen. Recently (within the last couple of weeks) had to treat my main flock for feather mites, and their coop. All seems managed now, in that coop with those hens.

Now the chicks are outside in a different coop (so the grown chickens can see but not touch), but still close enough that mites could obviously be an issue if they were lingering anywhere. I’m noticing their feathers look frayed and I’m not sure they did before. I was planning to treat them with elector PSP and their coop, but didn’t know if that was ok for their age?

I’ve been running a lot the last few days so I don’t have any good pictures, but can try to get some tomorrow. I just looked at the ones I tried to take earlier and they’re not clear enough to see what I’m talking about. This buff Orpington was the one that seemed most affected by feather mites and why I treated everyone, in case that’s helpful to see still not the best picture, sorry).

Attachments

• 427797D5-0970-4D2F-9109-0FDB4340E9B4.jpeg
    427797D5-0970-4D2F-9109-0FDB4340E9B4.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 28
Here are the chicks feathers. Thoughts?

Attachments

• E7F1E03A-BF52-4DC1-A154-72FEA5D0C5B8.jpeg
    E7F1E03A-BF52-4DC1-A154-72FEA5D0C5B8.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 8
  • AB21ECCC-E7A6-4550-8106-F556A5EBA512.jpeg
    AB21ECCC-E7A6-4550-8106-F556A5EBA512.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 8
@casportpony @azygous

Sorry, never sure who to tag! It’s supposed to rain here soon and last for a while, so if I’m going to spray down the coop and chicks, I’d like to get started. Thoughts?

You may spray the chicks but dry them immediately. Make sure the premises are dry before returning the chicks.
Thank you!! Dry them immediately just to ensure they don’t get cold? I was going to do it at night and then put them back under their heating pad cave. Do you think that would be ok?

Too slow, and you should be observing the chicks' behavior afterward for signs of chilling. Better to spray them earlier and blot the excess moisture from their bodies with pre-warmed towels and then blow-dry them completely before returning them to the heat cave.

Too slow, and you should be observing the chicks' behavior afterward for signs of chilling. Better to spray them earlier and blot the excess moisture from their bodies with pre-warmed towels and then blow-dry them completely before returning them to the heat cave.
Ok! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom