electrcity free ways to keep hens cozy in the northern climates

I would love to have a little pattern for a chicken neckwarmer! Oh, how my neighbors would laugh at me
lol.png

I think that as long as there are no drafts blowing through your coop they should be fine. I also live in Vermont, I also feel bad when I go out and their water is frozen and they are all huddled up, but the coop is always warmer than outside and they seem perfectly happy, although they would look nice in a neck warmer. From your picture it looks like you have an EE... looks just like mine... did you get them from the Agway in Montpelier?

I have seen where people make straw igloos for their chickens and cover it with tarp and in the summer they just use the straw for bedding. I have lined all around my coop with straw bales.

In case anyone is serious about the neckwarmer thing... you do know that squishing down an animal's fluffy fur with 'clothing' actually makes them colder (unless the clothing is even fluffier and better insulating than the critter's own fur, which takes a lot of doin')? I should think that feathers and down would work the same.

Also what if the 'neckwarmer' got wet while the bird was drinking? (not an issue w/a saddle type garment). At the least you'd probably want to use a good greasy wool...

Pat, with chickens in a large unheated building that will probably get really cold but sticking with keeping them dry, well fed and giving them a small insulated 'cave' around their roost, as per advice from many here

Last edited:
We too give extra thought to the chicken's comfort on extra-cold days. (I ran out of oatmeal yesterday so today I gave them warm toast!) An insulated coop with no active drafts is paramount it seems.

And I thought I was the only one who was toying with the idea of a temporary enclosure in the basement when the temperature got below 20 degrees! They may not technically need it, but if it makes all of us feel better and warmfuzzy, why the heck not?

I had this idea about warming up a few bricks in the oven when I'm making dinner - then wrapping them in a towel and putting it in the bottom of the coop under the straw. It may not stay warm, but at least it could give the girls a head start on creating some warmth in there.

We have a small coop though. And honestly, I haven't tried it yet - I'm still waiting for my electric warmer to arrive, and the chickens are spending their nights in the basement.

Spoiled chickens.

I have heard of folks using warmed rocks (or bricks) to help keep the heat in the coop.

I am a firm believer in well insulated coops. I know a person in Alaska who does NOT heat her coop and well, I have to say if it can be done in Alaska without heat...it can be done just about anywhere!

A few more things....
- Drafts are the number one enemy- but remember taking away drafts cannot be at the expense of ventilation.

- When using heated rocks- make sure it's done in a firesafe manner

--Giving of warm water in the morning, an help

--Insulation can be done on the inside or the outside....some insulate it like a house, others use straw, and yet others straw bales on the outside of the coop

--vaseline on combs and wattles is a good thing. If you have birds with large combs and wattles, consider modifying your waterer so that their combs and wattles don't touch the water when drinking.

--The deep litter method should not be underestimated...it can give off heat

--making sure that snow/cold water does not get tracked into the coop can also make a huge difference.

--Make sure your coop is not TOO BIG for the number of chickens you have. A well insulated coop can heat up quite nicely on body heat alone. Adding a straw bale or two INSIDE the coop can do much in the quest to have to heat less air (in addition to its insulating properties).

--If possible, build your coop attached to your home. The heat your home gives off will help the coop stay warmer.

There are more than I can recall....I do, after all, live in very north coastal california between 55-65 most of the year with some 30's and 40's mixed in here in there and I feel fortunate to get any day over 80. I do however know many who live in the extremes and listen to them---as I know I may have to move there someday!

Sandra

--

OH... I forgot to say that warm treats are great...especially in the morning. If you run out of oatmeal..or even if you dont--you can always make a nice hot dish with warm to hot water and their own chicken feed. You can also mix in some scratch!

Sandra

I have nothing else useful to say, but I just came in from giving the horses their evening hay at 7:30 p.m. and I would just like you to know that the outdoor temperature is currently -18C, that's 0F. And it is barely after dinnertime. Aaaaargh!

Thank you for listening to my complaint. We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Pat, up where it's usually kinda cold this time of year but not THIS cold for pete's sake.

Back
Top Bottom