Electric Fence grounding question

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
For big fenced areas (an acre or more), where should grounding rods go? Should I space them out around the perimeter, or keep them close to the fence charger? All the diagrams I see from electric fence manufacturers just have 3 rods next to the fence charger, but I don't see how that will conduct electricity for fence wires that are 200' away or more.

Also thinking about planting some shade trees/shrubs next to the electric fence to suppress weeds and keep the soil damp. Has anyone done anything like this?

The ground rods should be sunk 8' deep with the first one about 10' from the charger, and each subsequent one 8'-10' apart and jumpered together with lead out wire.
I have mine sunk in next to a drainage trench that is perpetually wet.
I weed trim the fence line about 4 times a season followed by spraying with vegetation killer about 1' on each side of the fence.

The ground rods should be sunk 8' deep with the first one about 10' from the charger, and each subsequent one 8'-10' apart and jumpered together with lead out wire.
That's what I have right now. But If I expand the fenced area, I should spread out the ground rods more. Right?

I don't have a perpetually wet area like you do, but I want to make one with some shade trees. I use a solar charger (Parmak) so that means the charger will be in a dry, sunny, area, which is far away from the wet, shady, grounding area. Is that bad?

That's what I have right now. But If I expand the fenced area, I should spread out the ground rods more. Right?

I don't have a perpetually wet area like you do, but I want to make one with some shade trees. I use a solar charger (Parmak) so that means the charger will be in a dry, sunny, area, which is far away from the wet, shady, grounding area. Is that bad?
Where do you live in general? It helps to sink the ground rod in wet ground but it isn't critical.

I don't see it necessary to go 8 feet deep
8 feet is required for building codes to protect houses from lightning. Electric fences are less likely to be hit by lightning so I think multiple shorter grounding rods, spread out along the fence line, would be better. But I could not find any information about this anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom