Electric fence question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harveyhorses, Jun 11, 2011.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I am curious why so many say it is too expensive, I got my charger wire and insulators for under $80. and I have it strung around my run and my garden, several strands. It is fairly easy to put up, and as a 1st step deterent I don't think it can be beat. I didnt buy posts, I zip tied the insulators to stuff taht was laready there and got creative in other places. Did I just get a good deal?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think it is expensive either.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I think I paid the same for mine.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I am curious why so many say it is too expensive

Because some people are CHEAP! [​IMG]

Electric is the least expensive fencing per foot​

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It is not only one of the cheapest solutions, it's also the most bang for your buck!

Carefully placed hotwire can give you complete protection from any and all predators. You MUST turn it on religiously as soon as the birds are up for the night and turn it off before you let them out in the morning.

Once it has been in service for awhile, the predator quit coming around as they know what is in store. Predators aren't completely stupid....

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I ran mine 24/7 for the first few weeks and when used to contain hogs. The animals (and neighbor kids) in the area quickly learned where they could and could not go and a year later, they still remember.

7. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Mine was around $75 including 2 bags of standoff insulators that snap right onto chain link fencing and 2 - 100 foot rolls of wire. I sleep well at night now and so do the chickens. They love spending the night on perches in the run instead of being cooped up. And if I do waken to the wonderful sound of a raccoon's nose touching the wire, I sleep even sounder after ;-)

8. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    It doesnt matter if you're big or small, two legs or four, even wings or no wings, you must respect the electricity! It works great by it's self, and even better in conjunction with other fence types.

9. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oh thanks guys. I had just read a couple of 'I can't afford electric' and was wondering if I was weird. Well I know that part. [​IMG]
    I just did a weed and branch check, just love seeing the tester go BLINK. I have two 'gates' you have to take down before you open the door to the run, one is at about 2ft, the other about 4 inches off the ground. The bottom one got another neighborhood kid. I now have a lock on my run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by