Electric fence question

harveyhorses

Songster
11 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Powhatan Va
I am curious why so many say it is too expensive, I got my charger wire and insulators for under $80. and I have it strung around my run and my garden, several strands. It is fairly easy to put up, and as a 1st step deterent I don't think it can be beat. I didnt buy posts, I zip tied the insulators to stuff taht was laready there and got creative in other places. Did I just get a good deal?

I am curious why so many say it is too expensive

Because some people are CHEAP!
wink.png

Electric is the least expensive fencing per foot​

It is not only one of the cheapest solutions, it's also the most bang for your buck!

Carefully placed hotwire can give you complete protection from any and all predators. You MUST turn it on religiously as soon as the birds are up for the night and turn it off before you let them out in the morning.

Once it has been in service for awhile, the predator quit coming around as they know what is in store. Predators aren't completely stupid....

Quote:
I ran mine 24/7 for the first few weeks and when used to contain hogs. The animals (and neighbor kids) in the area quickly learned where they could and could not go and a year later, they still remember.

Mine was around $75 including 2 bags of standoff insulators that snap right onto chain link fencing and 2 - 100 foot rolls of wire. I sleep well at night now and so do the chickens. They love spending the night on perches in the run instead of being cooped up. And if I do waken to the wonderful sound of a raccoon's nose touching the wire, I sleep even sounder after ;-)

It doesnt matter if you're big or small, two legs or four, even wings or no wings, you must respect the electricity! It works great by it's self, and even better in conjunction with other fence types.

Oh thanks guys. I had just read a couple of 'I can't afford electric' and was wondering if I was weird. Well I know that part.
smile.png

I just did a weed and branch check, just love seeing the tester go BLINK. I have two 'gates' you have to take down before you open the door to the run, one is at about 2ft, the other about 4 inches off the ground. The bottom one got another neighborhood kid. I now have a lock on my run.

Back
Top Bottom