1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electric fence

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kari9438, May 4, 2017.

1. kari9438

kari9438 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    I'm getting ready to put my chickens outside. I've heard of several chicken keepers loosing all their chickens to weasels in our area.

I'm going to be putting premier 1 poultry netting around the outdoor coop. I want to be able to move the fence and the coop around to fertilize and eat bugs. Can a weasel dig under an electric fence?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Weasel will be a able to walk right through. If coming by burrow, then more likely than not while in pursuit of burrowing rodents.

3. Rickba

Rickba Just Hatched

Apr 28, 2017
    Pa
    A weasel can go through a 1 inch hole and are prolific diggers. They are hard to stop. Hardware cloth is the best way. Another way is to put traps out when you arn't there. Bait 'em with serdenes in oil. Put a couple of the sardenes and oil on and around the trap. The oil will hide the human smell. Works very well. Regular grocery store bought large rat traps will work for weasals.

Last edited: May 4, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by