Electric fencing and free-range birds

You will find that poultry netting does not keep chickens in unless you clip wings and if you clip wings, your chickens are just that much more vulnerable to predators who can defeat your defenses. If your area is wooded, poultry netting will not keep out predators who can climb trees nor will it protect against airborne predators.

Another idea might be a high tensile multi-strand electric fence that will keep most predators out but allow chickens who can fly to come and go. If they're outside the fence and threatened, they can always fly to the inside. Provide some cover inside the electric fence so that the chickens can avoid airborne predators. This would be a lot less expensive option. Keep in mind, if you're going to truly free range your chickens you are going to have to accept some losses.

The 12 acres we're closing on is also largely woodland. I was wondering if chickens are 'safer' from attack from above in a woodland setting, or more at risk. We're in southern Alabama along the Florida panhandle border.

I really like the Electronet. It is great to rotationally pasture the birds, moving them to specific places to let the just-grazed spots recover. I can move our three pieces totaling 475 perimeter feet in about 2 hours, including moving the birds and having hubby hook up the fencer (he doesn't trust me).

Shrubs are great cover for the chickens. Ours love to hide in the Spruce tree and raspberry patch. Hawks and migrating eagles like to perch in the fully grown trees.

I have used Premier Poultry netting since the birds were young. It is only 42 in high, but they have been "trained" to respect it by receiving shocks during curious pecks when they were young. We have a pulsating fencer, so they are able to let go during the non-eletric part of the pulse.

Interestingly enough, they recognize that fences that do NOT look like the Premier fencing CAN be flown over. I put them in a pen of 4 ft tall plastic snow-fencing fence, and they immediately flew right to the top and on over.

However, put them in the Premier fencing, even when it is not plugged in, and they stay put. Even though that fence is shorter.

We have lost two birds who became entangled in the fencing. I personally believe they were frightened into the fencing from a hawk attack. To deter this, we string "Caution" tape or wide ribbon zig-zag from the tops of the posts. Seems to work.

It is possible that a single or double strand of plainly visible electrified fencing tape could be used if the young birds were "trained" to it. I would imagine you would always have to use the same color/style of tape or they would stop recognizing it. This would offer no predator protection, I cannot think of an animal it would stop.

The Premier fencing has been easy to use, but it is expensive. We have not lost any birds to preadtors.

The 42" premier fencing is what I ordered; it arrived today as a matter of fact. Again, predators are not a huge concern b/c of the LGD (disguised as a newf) and occasional losses from aerial predators will be unavoidable and acceptable. They have been truly free-ranging (they have 14 acres to roam but they really stay within an acre area of their own accord) during all daylight hours since July without a single loss, but I'm not keen on pushing my luck. In reality this is downsizing for them! JoAnn, I'm glad to hear that you've had so much success with it; I'm sure once I actually attempt installation I'll have a question or two! Come to think of it, I already have one: which energizer are you using?

Quote:
I love it too, but sometimes I find stupid ducklings trapped in the net and getting shocked repeatedly. I had one bird with severe burns on a wing joint. Didn't notice that until it came time to slaughter.

Last edited:
We fenced 8 acres this summer for "free ranging/pasturing" our flocks.
It was built to keep predators out. 3 layers of electric fence incorporated into galvanized woven field fencing.
"Free Range/pasture" areas are at 4ft and runs are at 8ft.
In our area no form of electric fence alone would keep our range of predators out. Using a 2 joule 50 mile charger and if the ground is wet you can feel the current if you get within 6 inches of the wire... Have an inner layer around the coops and runs that is powered by a much smaller charger so none of the flocks are affected while "free ranging/pasturing".
Electric only likely will not work as efficiently. We had to constantly keep leg traps baited.
The only predator that I bait for now is fox and outside the fence perimeter.

Hi all! I am resurrecting this thread as I would like an economical perimeter fence for turkeys and layers (and probably a few ducks), and it seems all signs point to high-tensile. does anyone currently use this for poultry as their only fencing? It wouldnt matter if a bird or 2 flew over so long as it mostly keeps them contained and the foxes and coons out. Also if so, any suggestions on line spacing? Especially the first 3 strands, for the containment purpose. Thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom