Electric Fencing....Questions

dogdollar

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2010
I have decided that electric fencing is something I want to do....around the coop and run. I already bought the fencer...it will supply 5,400 volts to ten miles of clean fence. For my purposes, it will be charging about 800 feet max of clean, new galvanized wire, so I am thinking that a raccoon who happens upon it will find the experience quite...shocking.
But, I have some questions:

1.) If I make an apron of hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run/coop, say 12-16 inches wide, I would hope that would be sufficient to discourage digging, even if it's not buried but simply staked in place it steel spikes. I would then make an electrical connection from the ground system (I intend to use two 8' copperclad rods) to the hardware cloth, and the fiberglass electric fence posts would be located in the center of this hardware cloth "apron", around the perimeter of the run/coop. My thinking is, an animal would have to be contacting the hardware cloth by standing on it, when he hits a hot wire, and would be grounded WAY more efficiently than by earth alone. Does this make sense?

Also......

2.) If I run a ground connection up to the roof of the coop (it's corrugated tin), then run a hot wire around the perimeter of the roof (with insulators keeping it standing off maybe four inches or so), then I would think this would discourage an assault from the roof. I am addressing this because where the coop is located it is possible for a predator to drop down from the trees. Anyway, am I thinking right on this?

Thank you,
DD

Sounds like it should work. Good luck on it. I just grounded it normal and it's working well for me.

Overkill is what I'm after. Like a wise man once said....if you ever find yourself in a fair fight..........your strategy sucks.
Thanks.

I always found that when I string a new fence up, especially an electric one it is a good idea to put some sort of “attractor” on it. Some animals are so surprised (shocked … I couldn’t resist that) when they first hit the fence that they will run through it or end up tearing it down. A tiny smear of peanut butter on the lowest wire works great for coons, possums, and even skunks. They will smell it and then lick it. Once.

I also have my runs and aprons tied into the ground circuit of the fence charger. It is recommended to leave the charger, go through your ground rods first, then from there run the ground wire to your cages and aprons.

It's always best to ground the charger to an actual "ground rod".

Very soon after you put the apron down, grass will grow up through it and shield it.
Also, if the soil is dry, it won't transmit the current very well anyway

I wouldnt attach a ground wire to the roof either.
Running the hot wires will be enough protection

Overkill is what I'm after

Don't over complicate it and you'll have far less problems with it in the future.

Like a wise man once said....K I S S
LOL​

Last edited:
I also have my runs and aprons tied into the ground circuit of the fence charger. It is recommended to leave the charger, go through your ground rods first, then from there run the ground wire to your cages and aprons.

Very useful info....thank you very much !!!

If you do electrify the roof, please make sure there is no way possible for your birds to get to it, and that there's nothing to carry the current to the walls. Good luck.

Quote:
Keep It Simple, Stupid.

This is the kind of sophomoric colloquialism I guess I should have expected, but didn't.

If the day ever comes that something gets my chickens, i would like to think I have done all I can...and this includes maximizing the effect of any investment I might make for the sake of their well being. Forgive me if I am not, like you, satisfied doing the prescribed minimum and leaving the rest to chance or Divine Providence.

DD

P.S. - ....and by all accounts, I am FAR from stupid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom