Electric netting - is freeranging viable?

Goddess Sekhmet

Chirping
9 Years
May 29, 2013
Hi all!

I have one of those ~90cm high electric netting/fences for my chickens that I move regularly enough to ensure they have fresh forage; having said that, I'm contemplating having them free-ranging occasionally while I'm home (Have a farm).
My concern is - if I give them a taste of 'freedom' as such, does that mean I run the risk they'll fly out of their electric netting enclosure if they prefer it 'on the outside'?

I have clipped wings but know they're still capable of short flight, so unsure if I should grant them the odd free-ranging pass or if I'll live to regret it........

I personally do not think that a taste of freedom will convince your hens to jail-break once confined again. I had flighty hens before. I clipped their wings. Once the feathers grew back, chickens were for some reason no longer very flighty. I don't want to keep clipping wings, because I want chicken to be able to escape a possible predator attack.
How large of an area does your electric netting create. If you just give me the length of netting, I can visualize the round pasture it creates.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Hi all!

I have one of those ~90cm high electric netting/fences for my chickens that I move regularly enough to ensure they have fresh forage; having said that, I'm contemplating having them free-ranging occasionally while I'm home (Have a farm).
My concern is - if I give them a taste of 'freedom' as such, does that mean I run the risk they'll fly out of their electric netting enclosure if they prefer it 'on the outside'?

I have clipped wings but know they're still capable of short flight, so unsure if I should grant them the odd free-ranging pass or if I'll live to regret it........
Electric fencing chickens is a very efficient way to hold chickens in the field and to shield them from predators. Electric fences require maintenance, particularly during the summer months when grass is growing but once built, the electrical fence will give you years of protection.

It will be fine to let them free range at times. Yes they will want to continue to free range and will often be at the fence BEGGING you to let them out. But they will not fly over. The only times I have had birds fly over the fencing is when they were Scared Sh**less because of us driving the tractor into their area. When they tried to get back in they did not FLY back over, they walked around the fencing looking for the door / entryway.

I have electric wire around my coops and pens. Our land is mostly open pasture. The birds prefer to be in the shade so even when I open their gates so they can go out they may briefly but usually not for very long and there back in their pens under their shade/rain tables or under the trees in their pens.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

IMG_20181202_133518.jpg

Hey all! Thanks for your replies. I have a 50m long net that i have setup with a 'long and narrow' reach, enabling me to adjust weekly for fresh pasture - like the hand of a clock.

I might start training for treats soon to ensure they'll return on command - due to a local coronavirus lockdown, I might have to get creative with cracking some corn or a similar appealing treat!

Back
Top Bottom