Electric poultry fence gate question

Oh, man. That wakes you up on a cold morning, I tell you what!

🤣

Can you post whatever solution you find? I hate having to move the fence post to get in. I'm building a new area and would love an actual gate.

The black panel on the right swings open so I can go inside. The coop is the area to the right which has new wood paneling. I'm taking a picture from underneath the garage porch and you can see the gray is the garage. And I think you are right, a dog proof gate may be my best option.
Is that concrete in the bottom of the photo, at the base of the gate?
If it is, you shouldn't have to worry about the dog digging under the gate.

It looks like you've got a fairly protected corner there: garage wall, porch, etc.

Depending on which way you come to the gate, you might be able to just extend the poultry netting so the dog cannot reach the gate. Or so the dog will probably bump the electric part before reaching the gate.

Oh, man. That wakes you up on a cold morning, I tell you what!

🤣

Can you post whatever solution you find? I hate having to move the fence post to get in. I'm building a new area and would love an actual gate.
Since I can't electrify the gate, the only thing that sounds worthwhile is building a wooden gate. But still it won't be really protected if the dog wants to jump over it. So not a perfect solution.

Is that concrete in the bottom of the photo, at the base of the gate?
If it is, you shouldn't have to worry about the dog digging under the gate.

It looks like you've got a fairly protected corner there: garage wall, porch, etc.

Depending on which way you come to the gate, you might be able to just extend the poultry netting so the dog cannot reach the gate. Or so the dog will probably bump the electric part before reaching the gate.
The gate is at the end of the garage porch, so the dog can't dig but the dog could jump because the concrete porch would raise the dog up higher. I feel my chickens are safe only when they are behind electric.

if a dog really wanted to, it could just jump over your poultry netting too. i know my boxer could clear that no problem.
Yeah but their first instinct is to sniff it and after it bites them they run off. That's been my experience. My neighbor had a HUGE standard poodle that could've stepped over it yet once it bit him, he never came close to it again.

Yeah but their first instinct is to sniff it and after it bites them they run off. That's been my experience. My neighbor had a HUGE standard poodle that could've stepped over it yet once it bit him, he never came close to it again.
best thing to do would be to frame out a full-height doorway in the corner of the concrete slab and garage wall. cover the wood framing with hardware cloth. then you could bring the electric netting right up to the doorway and you’d have a secure pen. like
so:

9A1E2427-0D9C-4B33-BD67-1FACB12CB5BA.jpeg

best thing to do would be to frame out a full-height doorway in the corner of the concrete slab and garage wall. cover the wood framing with hardware cloth. then you could bring the electric netting right up to the doorway and you’d have a secure pen. like
so:

View attachment 2938105
That's what I was thinking. The dog couldn't jump it if it was that height.

And I get it about the safety of electric. My goats are behind 4ft electric netting. Two big dogs were sniffing around, got a major shock, and ran off yelping. They could have cleared it easy.

My chickens and ducks are also behind 4ft netting, and it's covered with aviary netting. I am going to install electric deer fencing next for my birds. It's over 5ft tall. I plan to put a real door in. We have an old security screen door left over from a home improvement project. I may frame that out and put in a concrete threshold to prevent digging. My issue isn't really dogs. It's coyote, raccoons, and hawks.... and maybe occasionally bears and mountain lions. The fence/energizer combo I've got now puts out enough juice to deter bears and anything smaller, but there isn't much I can do to stop a determined mountain lion. Determined big dogs aren't anything I'd want to take chances with, either. I totally get it.

Back
Top Bottom