Electric Poultry Fence

Or what if I put in something like Davis Wire No-Climb Fence and then had the electric poultry fence a few inches in front of that. In the winter, I could maybe turn off the electric fence since the ground will be frozen anyhow? Would a fox be able to dig under the fence with the ground frozen? I suppose that wouldn't help with rats/mice, but those wouldn't be as much of a problem as a fox.

I'm already planning on having Night Eyes on all 4 sides of the coop and the coop will have an automatic locking metal door, so that should help too. I just don't know where the line is between secure enough and paranoia.

secure enough? great idea. I am amazed at the cost of wire. The industry has succeeded in making wire gage so small that even hardware cloth is not enough. My personal opinion is 12.5 gage 1 inch by 2 inch galvanized after welding, but alas I can no longer afford the heavy wire.

The electric poultry netting will be OK in the summer and I will probably take it down for the winter and keep the flock indoors.

The electric poultry netting is great for moving a run to different locations in the summer. Not so great in winter if you get snow. I posted a picture earlier in this thread.

We did not have much snow last year so I was able to keep a line running all winter. The previous year (more snow) I had to disconnect the poultry netting and shut the area down.

The snow here is very wet and heavy - it sticks to the netting and causes it to sag. During and after a snowfall I have to go out to shake it off and make adjustments.

The more snow, the more grounding = less shock power. Possibly easier for a predator to jump over.

In snow, it works better in the forest for me as the trees shelter the fence.

If you plan to have a stationary run, I would stick with a wire fence with several strands of electrified wire. Like you said, each strand could be disconnected if needed.

thanks for the pictures! :) i've not logged on for some time i see, as i have been spending all my time with chickens and chicken landscapes, and no cyber chicken time ;o
i have been using the taking my chances/free range method.... we've had our share of close calls the most recent one being four days ago. new rule: no free ranging on over cast days!
we've lost one chicken, at the beginning of the summer, but that was to a freak accident with a thorn or stick. thanks again for the photos, it does give me some additional winter ideas!

I bought the Premier poultry netting this past spring, and once I stopped the hens from flying out, it has worked very well. I have come up against an unexpected new challenge though. With all of the leaves falling now and blowing around, lots of them are getting in the run and gathering up around the fence perimeter. I find that I have to rake around the fence at least once daily to keep all of the leaves from grounding it out. Several days, I have had a few big trees drop a lot of leaves, so by the end of the day, it looks like I didn't rake anything. I hope that the local foxes are trained well enough to the fence that they won't notice the situation before I get a chance to rake, but something to consider if you're in a more wooded area.

Even powered down fences are effective, especially is same fence is often on or another nearby is hot. They do not seem to test it all that often like I do in dark as it rains with bad flashlite like this morning. Beats coffee.

What are Night Eyes? I'm planning to get the electric poultry fence but also need a cover. Not sure what to use and if it will ground out the electric fence. Any feedback is appreciated.

What are Night Eyes? I'm planning to get the electric poultry fence but also need a cover. Not sure what to use and if it will ground out the electric fence. Any feedback is appreciated.
I do not have a top on mine. The owls have not yet found the small door to the barn and the raccoons have not yet learned to drop down from the barn roof to the small open door. (six months of open top and open door)

I do not have a top on mine. The owls have not yet found the small door to the barn and the raccoons have not yet learned to drop down from the barn roof to the small open door. (six months of open top and open door)

Just a matter of time. They count on you to protect them.

Even powered down fences are effective, especially is same fence is often on or another nearby is hot. They do not seem to test it all that often like I do in dark as it rains with bad flashlite like this morning. Beats coffee.

I know this is an older thread, but this made me laugh. Although I'm sure you didn't at the time...reminds me of the time my sister-in-law didn't realize our cow fence was hot.... :hmm

Back
Top Bottom