Electric Poultry Netting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Picco, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I just bought two roles of electric poultry netting that is 165'L X 36"H they were $99 each so it was a good deal as far as fencing goes. Has anyone had experience with it? I now live in an area with foxes, dogs and who knows what else so I need to keep things out rather than keep my girls in. I know 3' is short but I figure they'll have a large enough area so they won't want to jump out and I hope the shock will keep predators out before they think about jumping.

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I have no experience with electric poultry netting, and would be interested in anyone's experience also.

A chicken will try to roost or jump onto a fence and yes they can fly over a 3' fence without touching it. Usually though they land on top of the fence, then over. A shock may stop that, but the bird could land on the wrong side of the fence too.

Some dogs and coyotes will jump a 3 foot fence. Not sure if the initial shock when they stick their nose to it first will stop them.

An electric fence will not keep out raptors.

I hope someone can give us the answers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by