**Electric skillet method-*Open for further questions-starting page 26

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Eggs went in at 6:50 a.m. I set 1 dozen eggs. The goal was one from each pullet but, Zoe has refused to lay this week. I had suspected someone wasn't and now I know who. I will give her sometime before I decide to cull her or not. She may just be on vacation. I put in an extra one of Bully's. Dispite the name she has turned out to be a real nice hen.

The temps have been running between 99.5 and 101.5. I know a little low for still air but, if I try to up it a little I end up with 103.5 to 104.5 or higher. The directions from spiritualmystic had said to set the dial at 100 or if no 100, warm. Warm on my skillet runs at 150 so I played with it below that to get the temps. The humidity has been running about 40%

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first time incubating so, please wish me luck!

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    In a SKILLET???

That has the makings of a good cartoon.

Little chicks inside the eggs, afraid to come out "into the frying pan" so to speak. [​IMG]

3. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Good luck and happy hatching

PS if this works for you I am going to have a go at it. Did ya put it on a surge protector?

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Good luck! My Grandfather tells of using hatching in an electric frypan back in the late 50's and early 60's with good success.

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] silly question but, when they hatch will their feet be ok. Not too hot on them? [​IMG]

7. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Wishing you all the luck and saying a prayer for you too. It is so neat and I am glad you are trying so you get to experience hatching your own. [​IMG] more wishing for you!

8. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    My elderly neighbor says that she has hatched chicks in her crock pot...she says it works very well as an incubator. [​IMG]

What a neat experiment...I will be watching to see how it all turns out. Good luck!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Now, where is my kid's old Easy Bake Oven? Hmmm

10. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably another silly question, but how do you keep the no slip rubber from melting???

i hope this skillet (or even the crock pot from the other reply) aren't used for food anymore.

Just shows thinking outside the box, anything can be used differently than what it was made for....

cute...going from egg to skillet...i think i would be afraid to hatch too.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by