Electrical devices

jasonquinnryan

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Central P.A.
Here are some pics of some devices added to our coop for fun and to make coop life a bit easier. 1. Automatic door that runs off a timer so the chickens can exit and enter the coop without anyone having to open the run door
2. A thermostatically controlled water heater for us because we live in the NorthEast
3. A thermostatically controlled fan for those hot summer days
4. Pic of timer setup
There is a single light that also runs on a timer to give the chicks enough light to lay in the short winter days. 5. Some outlets for lights or whatever you want to plug in. Hope you enjoy . Thanks for looking!

I was given a water heater that basically consists of a small wooden box with a metal cover over it. Inside the box is a lightbulb in a socket 75watt that will put off enough heat to keep the water from freezing. I have this setup running off a programmable thermostat that controls the outlet that the light plugs into. A friend gave me the setup that he had used for the last 20years or so. The thermostat is new though. Hope this answers your ?

How did you make your homemade cookie tin water heater?
This is the basic design for a cookie tin heater.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/11/make-cookie-tin-waterer-heater-under-10.html.

I used a popcorn tin for the extra height.

Inside, I mounted a light reflector, using the reflector, cord, and socket.

I use a standard double wall waterer

I also use a thermo cube for heat control

I use a 38 watt halogen flood for heat source.

I find that when activated, the cold waterer, will form condensation on its bottom.

This condensation will continue until it creates a puddle.

Then, direct contact is formed between the tin and the waterer through the condensation puddle.

This "direct contact" creates excellent heat transfer from the hot tin to the waterer.

The tin never gets more than warm to the touch after.

Has worked great, my coldest temp recorded was -6F in the coop.

The water was not frozen.

[COLOR=333333]This is the basic design for a cookie tin heater.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333][COLOR=B42000]http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/11/make-cookie-tin-waterer-heater-under-10.html[/COLOR].[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I used a popcorn tin for the extra height.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Inside, I mounted a light reflector, using the reflector, cord, and socket. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I use a standard double wall waterer  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I also use a thermo cube for heat control        [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I use a 38 watt halogen flood for heat source.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I find that when activated, the cold waterer, will form condensation on its bottom.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]This condensation will continue until it creates a puddle.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Then, direct contact is formed between the tin and the waterer through the condensation puddle.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]This "direct contact" creates excellent heat transfer from the hot tin to the waterer.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The tin never gets more than warm to the touch after.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Has worked great, my coldest temp recorded was -6F in the coop.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The water was not frozen.[/COLOR]
that is a great way to do this! Super cheap too! If I wouldn't have already done ours, I would have built it your way! Thanks for the tip!!

Back
Top Bottom