Electricity?

dlundblad

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Larwill, In
I know that chickens have been raised before without it, but it is a good idea. The originial coop had power in it and the lights were nice, but I had the water heater in the winter time. On some of those cold days in Indiana, even that water heater could not keep up. Would it be ok to just have one of those HD rubber bowls and beat the ice out of it in the winter time every time I check on them or should I have power for a constant water supply?

We hung our 250 watt heat lamp over our waterer and it worked nicely...when it got down to -30 or -40 it would freeze a bit but some of it would stay thawed at all times. We made sure to secure the heat lamp VERY well before hanging. Never a problem all year.

If you have the opportunity to install electricity I would do it, it is so convienant to have lights and a power source when you need it. When I put mine in I thought I wouldn't use it much now I can't see not having it. I now have several lights in the breeding pens, the incubator is there along with the brooder & fans and my radio, now the coop is a cool place to hang out after a hard day.

AL

Back
Top Bottom