Electrolytes for new chicks?

gabbyscritters

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
fredonia, wi
My daughters chicks arrive tomorrow, they are being shipped but only from one state away. We have raised many chicks before, usually by mama's. Is it a good idea to put electrolytes in the water for the first day or two? We have powdered electrolytes for our horses, I am thinking it is all the same type. If it advisable to use how much do you punt in the chicks water?
Thanks. I have a very anxious 8 year old waiting for her "fancy" banties! I have a husband waiting to see if the chicks from Duane Urch are as good as they are expensive.
smile.png

we use yellow electrolites. its for horses hogs and other. we mix it will it is a good yellow color. im not sure wut the mix is we just kinda pour a little stir it and add if it is needed. it should just have a slight yellowness to the water.

Lots of folks here say that it is not needed, but I think that it really helps with recovering from travel stress etc. I don't know about giving electrolytes made for another animal though, "chick electrolyte" powder only costs $2 or so at a farm/ranch store. Good luck to you and your daughter with the new banty's.
thumbsup.gif

I used Durvet ( yellow package, yellow powder) for the first week with my chicks as they were driven by the hatchery delivery truck to the farm store I picked them up at, and the drive only lasted about 10 hours. I stopped at one week as they were really quite perky and healthy almost right away.

For Durvet I diluted 1/4 teaspoon to one quart of water. Durvet is for all sorts of livestock and the most important part is to not over saturate the water with the powder, that is hard on the digestive system and can do more harm that good. I would error on the side of providing too weak a solution than too strong of a solution, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom