Elementary School Chicken Project!

ebnetbmd

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Hello All,
I have been trying to find articles and connect with others that are doing in-school chicken flocks. We have a lovely childrens community garden that was donated by a local EAT resturarant (farm to table joint). Now we have a chicken flock project being donated as an addition to the garden. I would love to get input and connect with the community for donations as well for the coop and run. We are in southern California in a city called Temecula. Anyone out there with experience or interest please please contact me. The kids are so overly excioted!!! What a great learning tool. Any teaching tools would be greatly appreciated! Cheers from the Hillcrest Husky Hen House in Temecual CA
Cheers
Lisa

You could try your local poultry group. Our school got a lot of assistance through ours. They run an auction twice a year and they donated the entry fees to the school to build an amazing coop and run for the kids.

Sadly twice someone broke in and stole all the chickens so make sure what you build is human proof too!

Oh and also try posting on the where am I where are you section in your closest area thread. You might get some more local contacts through that.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, Lisa. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sounds like an exciting project you have going on there. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your children's community garden.

Hello All,
I have been trying to find articles and connect with others that are doing in-school chicken flocks. We have a lovely childrens community garden that was donated by a local EAT resturarant (farm to table joint). Now we have a chicken flock project being donated as an addition to the garden. I would love to get input and connect with the community for donations as well for the coop and run. We are in southern California in a city called Temecula. Anyone out there with experience or interest please please contact me. The kids are so overly excioted!!! What a great learning tool. Any teaching tools would be greatly appreciated! Cheers from the Hillcrest Husky Hen House in Temecual CA
Cheers
Lisa

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock!

I always love hearing about students taking part in agriculture and learning where their food comes from and how to make it. The high school I'm apart of the Zoology/Botany teacher will rather order eggs from a local hatchery or I donate eggs to incubate and hatch out chicks for the class but then I get stuck with the roosters and the teacher gets the pullets. Her hatch rate tends to be 1 pullet for every 5 roosters and she hatches out 12 chickens every year. I'm guessing you're looking for egg laying hens not meat chickens nor roosters. I suggest since these are younger students trying to locate Ameracaunas, Easter Eggers, or Cream Legbars. I can guarantee the students will love them. The eggs are a blue or green color depending on the breed you choose. For brown eggs you can get Black Australorps, Sexlink, Barred Plymouth Rock. Dark brown would be Maran or Welsummer. For smaller chickens (bantams) you could go with Silkies, Old English, Partridge Rock chickens too. Egg laying chickens need a 16% protein. Here's a picture of the bag and nutrition label of the feed I use for my hens. Here are some pictures of my Black Australorps and their eggs.

Some of my hens' eggs.

They are not afraid of people. Hard to stress out.

Some of my girls

Back
Top Bottom