Elevated Coops

debakadeb

Songster
14 Years
Apr 8, 2008
SW Indiana
Is there a reason to elevate the chicken coops? I have a book on chicken coops (we haven't built ours yet) and most are elevated. Any "coop advice" is appreciated. We live in Indiana so it gets cold in the winters but not as cold as it gets in places like Michigan or Minnesota.

Deb

Guess it just depends on what you want. Mine is a shed turned into a coop. If it's a small coop, you can elevate it if you want, but if you are going to have alot of chickens, it's not too convenient to have it elevated. Lots of them are small with the run running under the coop.... so it'll work if you have a space problem. Did I answer, or just confuse you more???
gig.gif

Thanks, Rose. I think that answered the question. I was going to convert a corn crib for the coop but we decided it would be too difficult to heat it in the winter; nor would they receive enough light. So...am rethinking all the plans.

Deb

Most elevated coops are small, built for just a few chickens and usually in people's backyards that have a space limit. You can get extra run space by having the coop built up off the ground about two feet so the chickens can go under it to get out of the sun or weather.

Some people build up their coops so they don't have to bend over to clean them out. They have a door in the side that they just open and rake/shovel out the bedding.

Built up coops also make it harder for some predators to get into the hen house.

It's totally a personal preference and may be determined by the amount of space you have to build a coop or the number of chickens you may have.

Space is not a problem since we live on 3 acres. We just need to have it closer to the house in order to get electricity to it. Closer to the water isn't bad either. I appreciate everyone's input -- I've passed it all along to my husband.

He says they are my chickens so I have to do the research...but I have noticed that when he gets home from work before me, he does go and check on the girls...and then visits again when I go and visit. He really didn't want them but I think they are growing on him.
smile.png

We have two, small elevated coops for our Banties, they both sit on 24" frames. We decided to go this way to add a bit more run area

We started out raising the Chick-N-Barn/Yard last year, when it was time to move the 6 week old chicks out of the trailer and their run wasn't finished yet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1560

We recently built coop #3, and are using it for moving the chicks outside.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1560-Post_Brooder_Co

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom