Ella the Rouen laying "wherever"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MarieNC, Dec 27, 2011.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Ella is my 9 month old female Rouen and has been laying eggs for quite a few months now. She has a nest box filled with straw and wood shavings and she also has an enclosure with straw. She had been alternating between the nest box and the enclosure to lay her eggs, but now I find them all over the place. Today I found one just sitting on the gravel near the pool and one time I found one IN the pool. Is there something I can do to entice her to lay back in the nest box or her enclosure or is it OK for her to lay her eggs "wherever"?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    That's pretty normal, all the ducks I had only laid in a nest if they were planning on setting, otherwise they just seem to lay where ever in the yard they were standing when they got the urge.

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:I found one yesterday over by the water faucet. the day before in the duck pen. this morning, 2 in the chicken coop.

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Yep, all mine do it where ever they want. The only way I have ever get them to keep it in the nest boxes, or keep at least in there own coop is they usually will lay them before 10 am so if I keep them locked up till then I don't have them all over our yard. But of course they aren't very happy about that!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by