'ello from Lil Ol' Rhody!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HuginnsMuse, Feb 6, 2015.

1. HuginnsMuse

HuginnsMuse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    Lil ol' Rhode Island
    Hello from little Ol’ Rhody! Ok, so I think after hanging out on this page for a few weeks I am finally ready to ask for help for starting my chicken adventures! My partner and I are looking to go off the grid and self sustaining as much as possible, as well ready supply nearly 90% of our own fruits and veggies (**** fruit tree’s still aren’t their yet) but this means three things when it comes to chickens. We need birds good for meat, eggs, and breeding to keep up with everything. On average we eat 3-4 chickens a week (We make our own dog food and this also insures we know where their meat comes from) With this said/though of 1) What are some good breeds? I’ve read Jerseys. RiR, and Rocks are great for multi tasking birds. Opinions? 2) Should we separate all three, our breeder/brooders, egg layers, and meat birds. Or should we just keep our egg/brooders separate from our meat birds? Where do you think is best to buy birds, I’ve been looking at Meyers. Also is it safe to put Guinea’s with our brooders until they set our land as ‘home’. We live in deer tick central and really looking to curb that as well as the watch dog aspect. Thoughts? Opinions?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might like to check out the Heritage Breed thread, most of the standard duel purpose breeds are mentioned on it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/849075/heritage-large-fowl-phase-ii If you want real duel purpose birds you might consider going with a breeder rather than the big commercial hatchery birds, otherwise with the big commercial hatcheries, you might check with your state thread on who they have had luck getting birds shipped from in your area, many feed stores will also carry (or will order) chicks in the spring of the popular breeds, then you don't have to deal with shipping directly. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    If you decide to raise Cornish cross for meat birds, those usually need to be kept separated since they have such different requirements, if you go with duel purpose you can often run them in the same flock (as long as you process when/before the young cockerels start becoming a nuisance).
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl Try the Guinea Fowl forum for ideas on using them.

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

Good quality Delawares are my favorite dial-purpose birds - excellent layers, occasional broodies, good meat qualities, and quite friendly.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

You've received some good links and advice already.[​IMG]

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Excellent advice and links from Kelsie.

Glad you joined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by