Emaciated chicken

Peoples

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2017
East Tennessee
Hello I discovered one of my girls showing weakness and very emanciated when I picked her up. Usually she does not let me handle her and runs. Last night wasn't going in with the others. So picked her up, she did not fight me and felt no muscle just bones in her chest. Isn't eating, crop feels empty, energy seems low. Pale comb. Checked for lice and mites nothing. Haven't seen signs of worms but will keep checking to see if she poops. I imagine little output if not taking in much. We have 15 birds. And several areas for feeding so I know she isn't being pushed out for food. I have separated her with own coop and notices she isn't touching food or water or favorite treats. Any idea what it could be?

How old is she?
What exactly do you feed?

You don't usually ever see worms until you deworm them with a medicine unless they are so overloaded with worms that they actually have no room left to stay in the body and poop them out.

It could be anything. Right now concentrate on getting some food into her. Offer scrambled egg, mash, meal worms what ever you think will entice her to eat. Maybe a few drops of vitamins or sugar water in her beak might jump start her.
Ok did get some poultry cell down her. I tried to entice with foods of chooped greens, scrambled egg, meal worms. Even grass time for bugs and she isn't eating

How old is she?
What exactly do you feed?

You don't usually ever see worms until you deworm them with a medicine unless they are so overloaded with worms that they actually have no room left to stay in the body and poop them out.
Over a year old going on 2. Layer pellets. And occasional treats. Recently had pumpkin

Over a year old going on 2. Layer pellets. And occasional treats. Recently had pumpkin
You can tried to deworm her but it may not help.

Have you recently brought home new birds?
Ever had to treat for coccidiosis?

You can tube water then feed her to keep her alive while you try other things to help her get well. It may not be possible.

Ok did get some poultry cell down her. I tried to entice with foods of chooped greens, scrambled egg, meal worms. Even grass time for bugs and she isn't eating
This isbwhat she did when I put her in the grass and warm sun. Laid down on her side and napped.

Attachments

• 37452.jpeg
    37452.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom