Embden Goose x Muscovy Drake mating

Discussion in 'Geese' started by charlindabob, Feb 18, 2014.

1. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    I just witnessed my white Muscovy drake mate with my Embden goose and it looked like a good mating to me. Anybody know if the goose eggs could be fertile and if so, what they might be called?

I have read that many people think that the Muscovy is more related to a goose than a duck, but I don't know as that is way above my pay grade.
    I do know different ducks can be mated and you can get mules or hinnies and hybrids, but I have never heard of a Muscovy/Embden cross. Any ideas? Probably not possible, but what if?

Bob
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Not possible. You can cross muscovy ducks with other domestic ducks.

3. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I would be very interested to see if any fertile eggs come of it. Does a gander have access to her as well?
    A horse and a donkey can do it, why not scovy and goose?

4. charlindabob

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Yes, the goose has gander access, but I have had literally over a hundred Embden eggs that were not fertile, I believe he isn't mature enough just yet. He is three years old and a big guy from Holderread. My other Embden is sitting on a dozen eggs which I'd bet aren't fertile either. I have yet to see him show any interest in breeding.

5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Well, this very well could be quite the experiment then! I hope she's layng for you right now!

6. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi charlindabob, sounds very odd that your goose would choose to mate a drake rather than a gander. Also, a gander is fertile from a young age. Before a year old he´ll do a good job. At 3 years, he should be in his prime. It seems there´s something amiss with your gander.
    I´ve never heard of a muscovy x goose.
    Probably it would be best to get another gander? Plenty of omelettes, though!!!! [​IMG]

7. charlindabob

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    The goose didn't really choose the Muscovy drake, she is a new goose and when I put her in with the Muscovies, he took her. My pair of Embdens that I've had awhile have shunned this new goose addition so I put her with the ducks since they have a large fenced area while the Embden pair run free.

My Embden gander is almost 4 years old and I have never witnessed him mating. He came from Holderread's and is a big boy and I have read that they may not reach sexual maturity until 4 years old. Am I misinformed on the age requirements?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  8. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

The first bit makes sense. Poor little goose. Geese do tend to like being in a pair, and the extra goose can get pushed out and sad. Could you not get a gander for her?
    Also, as for the maturity thing...4 years?! Maybe you read about full weight maturity, rather than sexual maturity? I´m only guessing. Having said that, I don´t have Embden, so you could check it out on the Embden thread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by