Embedded zip tie on leg

ARose4Heaven

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Flippin, AR
Big Bertha is a large Beautiful Cornish Cross Mutt, about 2 years old. This morning she was limping, so I checked her feet. I found the problem, and it was my fault. The zip tie I had used to identify which hens actually lay eggs, had embedded its self into her leg. I carefully cut the zip tie and removed it, but her leg started bleeding. So I brought her in the house and applied peroxide and a triple antibiotic cream, then covered the area in vaseline. I have her in quarantine now so the other birds won't peck at her.

How long should it take for the injury to heal so I can put her back in the flock?
Did I do this right?

I've never handled a bleeding wound on a chicken before.
I feel so bad!
hide.gif
I am always so careful to put those things on loose! I can't figure for the life of me how that one got like that!
The poor thing was so brave while I worked on her.

Sounds like you did the right thing. Just be sure the antibiotic does not contain any pain killer (anything that ends in caine like novacaine, lidocaine) this is harmful to poultry. I would keep her up for a few days to make sure it is healing. Keep it clean and keep using the antibiotic while she is up. After you let her out just keep a close eye on her to make sure it is not getting pecked at. Do not put vaseline on it and let her out, this may attract attention to it as well and dirt sticking to it. Let it dry out. Good luck and I'm sure it will be fine.

Just don't use the peroxide again-it can prohibit new tissue growth.
If the bleeding continues, try to wipe the Vaseline off and put some flour on it-great to stop bleeding.
The antibiotic cream(without pain reliever) should work well.
Just keep her in for a few days to make sure she's healed and doesn't get any infection and she will probably be just fine.

Sounds like your doing the right things for her. I would use blue cote for the wounds. It has helped my girls in the past. Not sure how long it will take for her to heal. Good luck with her...
hugs.gif

Don't beat yourself up, accidents happen all the time. All we can do is our best to help them on the mend!

I did the same thing with my rooster, except with one of those heavy spiral bands. It's taken him about a month to heal - he was hopping on one foot long after we cut the thing off. It formed a big swelling, with a scab, that eventually burst, and then he started walking better. He still limps, but can use the foot.

So don't despair if she's limping for a few weeks! Just make sure the other chickens don't hurt her. Keep her separate if there's a rooster, because being stood on could hurt the leg more.

Back
Top Bottom