Embryo forming too close to the air cell?

Frodo the Pekin

Chirping
Jul 26, 2023
Here's yet another incubation question from me lol. This whole journey is so much more intimidating than using a broody darnit

10 duck eggs in the bator, about day 4. Candled today and 7 are clearly fertile and developing, only their little blood island seems to be forming too close to the large end with the air cell, one being right into it with some of that vein circle, as opposed to what I thought was normal, which is the embryo forming more to the center of the egg. All 7 have beating hearts, and only one is really too close to that larger egg. I use my phone's flashlight to candle the eggs and I do not have a second one to take pics so I tried to illustrate the situation as best as I could. Below is a drawing which depicts how the eggs look like when candled. The egg with the question mark drawn on it is the one I said is almost in the air cell. The one on the right is how all other eggs look like, more or less.(I am aware the wording for this is probably not the best but I am so tired and confused right now that I can barely find the right words for all this).

What do you guys think? Should I be worried?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-10 at 22.46.11_6e06ef8f.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-10 at 22.46.11_6e06ef8f.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 16
What do you guys think? Should I be worried?
I would probably not worry.

Are you incubating the eggs upright, or laying on their sides?

When I incubate chicken eggs on their sides, the embryo always seems to be on top of the yolk (as if it floats up after each time the egg is turned.) But if you incubate them upright, "up" would be near the air cell.

I would probably not worry.

Are you incubating the eggs upright, or laying on their sides?

When I incubate chicken eggs on their sides, the embryo always seems to be on top of the yolk (as if it floats up after each time the egg is turned.) But if you incubate them upright, "up" would be near the air cell.
They are upright, with the larger side up. I use one of those simultaneous turning devices where they are set upright and it has a little thingamajig on the outside so I can manually turn them all at the same time w/out opening the bator. (If that counts for something lol)
What you're saying makes total sense. Thank you!!

They are upright, with the larger side up. I use one of those simultaneous turning devices where they are set upright and it has a little thingamajig on the outside so I can manually turn them all at the same time w/out opening the bator. (If that counts for something lol)
What you're saying makes total sense. Thank you!!

Then I am guessing the egg position is why you are seeing the embryos where they are, and it is probably not going to cause any trouble.

Back
Top Bottom