Emergancy!!!! Older chicken made young chick bleed!!

She's standing pretty still but she would jerk around as if she is uncomfortable. Now she's doing pretty fine and trying to get some shut eye. My stepfather thinks she got cut on something but there isn't anything in our yard she could have got cut on and I saw her running from my rooster.

okay, clean the wound, water down betadine till it looks like weak tea and flush the wound. apply antibiotic ointment without pain reliever and place her in a dark place so she will rest. Keep her away from all others, they will peck the wound. make sure she gets plenty to drink. You can give aspirin in water for pain but I need to look up dosage.

My mother's picking the aspren and betadine when she gets off work. She'll be here in about 20-30 minutes.

What are the chances of the 'crop' being healed completely?
I think that's what is cut open.

I just saw this post and wanted to say I hope everything is okay with your chick. I know it's hard when you're still young yourself and under a parent's authority, especially those times whenever they may not share your enthusiasm for your interests & hobbies the same way you do. You sound like a good youngster. I'm sure your Mom meant well. All the best.

Good for your Mom! I really don't know the answer to that question, but I guess if it's kept clean and dry it's possible. Keep the chick separate and under a light (but not too hot). Chickens seem to really need and appreciate warmth whenever they're sick or injured. Best wishes to you...

If kept clean I think the chances of healing are good. Maybe moisten the food to make it easier on her, mine love it as a treat. maybe add a little unsweetened applesauce to ease digestion. Can you see an opening? Is it large? If large it could need stitching, if she was eating then it probably won't need it. Do a search here for crop operations/impacted crops and there should be lots of info there, maybe about diet and healing time. Make sure to water down the betadine to look like very weak tea, never full strength. Keep her warm and in the dark for tonight, helps keeps her calmer.

Thanks everyone! She's doing better. No signs of worsening.
I was very scared about her jerking around. She's stopped but I know she's still hurting a little bit. I've been doing research while she's been next to me about it. She's probably going to be fine. I can't find where the hole is so I suspect it's pretty small but then again, she's still a small chick so I need to watch her.
Thanks for the suggestions about watering down the food and using applesauce. I'll keep that in her diet with the asprin water.

I gotta eat dinner and I'll be back in 10 minutes. Please guys, I need more opinions and ideas! Thanks a billion!

Back
Top Bottom