EMERGENCY! 1 day after hatch day and no pips... Cracked one and...

ChickLover98

The Chicken Princess
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Pennsylvania
There was a moving chick inside! It was very bloody! What should we do?? This is in school... Should we crack the rst or leave them go? there was a moving chick inside but none pipped yet! HELP! You sould see some fuzz, too! HELPPPPPP!!!

My teacher said there is only a dime sized hole and what do we do with it? We put a wet paper towel over it. Its still moving... Thanks!

ok thank you very much!!! we apreciate your quick response!!!!!!!
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
even though thhis is not a happy expernce!
hu.gif
hide.gif

It is very likely that the one that you opened won't hatch out due to opening the incubator and the egg. The change in humidity can harden the membrane to the point that the chick can't move properly to pip and zip out. Hopefully it will with the moist paper towel on it.

So close the incubator and leave the rest alone.Patience is needed and fingers are crossed for you. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
chicks don't have watches, hands off. hatching can be 20 to 23 days, all depends on temp, when set, and if in school did the temp in the room go down over the weekend, which will effect your 'bator temp hatching will be later

Thanks guys, but now I feel stupid! I should've known! But we will pray for BB (Big Bird) until the day comes. I change the paper towl every hour or so if it dries out and we won't give up! She's still moving. Oh and we named her BB which is short for Big Bird!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
Come on BB! Don't give up on us!
jumpy.gif

No, don't open up the incubator please. Leave them in there and don't open it. When you do, the humidity levels shift and it will super glue the chicks in the shell. Never open the incubator after you "lockdown" for the hatch.

Even when the chicks hatch in there, leave them in and don't open the incubator until all the eggs that will hatch, have hatched. I will open the incubator up 1 day after the first chick has hatched in there and is walking around but they live off their "yolk sak" and don't need any food or water for at least a day and the warmth in there will not hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom