Emergency?? 8 week old pullet lethargic

Purelychicks

Songster
Nov 15, 2022
Arkansas
Every time I set her down she just lays down, she won’t really walk around much, she’ll pick around at food but won’t really eat much and she won’t drink anything. She’s a 8 week old buff orpington mix, and I can’t find anything. I don’t see any bloody poop, for that matter.. no unusual poop at all. Her fecal is completely normal. I will say, she doesn’t poop much at all. She is always very spunky flying around and everything, but I just came to check them in their outdoor enclosure and she’s like this. Any thoughts? I don’t think it’s coccidiosis, but I’m not completely sure. she keeps holding her left leg up, but there’s nothing wrong with it, no stiffness, no swelling, no discoloration, no oozing, no nothing. Her tail is also tucked.

Attachments

• A78966AA-6E4B-49FF-9338-40B3B77F933B.jpeg
    A78966AA-6E4B-49FF-9338-40B3B77F933B.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1B14BD59-4F42-4A5B-BC9C-93BE2A4A2340.jpeg
    1B14BD59-4F42-4A5B-BC9C-93BE2A4A2340.jpeg
    913.4 KB · Views: 7
Every time I set her down she just lays down, she won’t really walk around much, she’ll pick around at food but won’t really eat much and she won’t drink anything. She’s a 8 week old buff orpington mix, and I can’t find anything. I don’t see any bloody poop, for that matter.. no unusual poop at all. Her fecal is completely normal. I will say, she doesn’t poop much at all. She is always very spunky flying around and everything, but I just came to check them in their outdoor enclosure and she’s like this. Any thoughts? I don’t think it’s coccidiosis, but I’m not completely sure. she keeps holding her left leg up, but there’s nothing wrong with it, no stiffness, no swelling, no discoloration, no oozing, no nothing. Her tail is also tucked.
@Eggcessive

I would try to get her drinking. Do you have electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench? Symptoms of coccidosis are not eating or drinking, lethargy, standing hunched or fluffed up, and runny poops. Do you already have Corid? Corid won’t hurt her if you have it, but don’t use vitamins or NutriDrench while treating with Corid.

What are the others doing? Is it a mixed age flock? Could others have kept her from eating and drinking?

I would try to get her drinking. Do you have electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench? Symptoms of coccidosis are not eating or drinking, lethargy, standing hunched or fluffed up, and runny poops. Do you already have Corid? Corid won’t hurt her if you have it, but don’t use vitamins or NutriDrench while treating with Corid.

What are the others doing? Is it a mixed age flock? Could others have kept her from eating and drinking?
Her siblings are very friendly and all hatched the same day, she has all the symptoms you listed for coccidiosis except her poop isn’t runny. I couldn’t get her to drink, but I got a lot of watered down medicated chick food down her. I do have liquid corid, I forgot the info on using it. Is it 2tsp per gallon for 7 days?

Yes, the liquid Corid is 2 tsp per gallon of water, while the powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon for 5-7 days. If her poop is formed and not runny, you could try vitamins and electrolytes, and getting her to eat and drink. But Corid is pretty safe. B vitamins should not be used while on Corid.

Yes, the liquid Corid is 2 tsp per gallon of water, while the powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon for 5-7 days. If her poop is formed and not runny, you could try vitamins and electrolytes, and getting her to eat and drink. But Corid is pretty safe. B vitamins should not be used while on Corid.
Thanks! I’ve started her and siblings on corid. If that doesn’t help, can I use a riboflavin + b vitamins mix after?

Back
Top Bottom