Emergency!!!!! Chick with swollen abdomen!!!

chickenpal147

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Labadie Missouri
I have a 2ish week old chick that has a swollen abdomen almost like it can’t poop. It had pasty butt last week but it cleared up. Now today it’s back end is swollen. What can I do to help it? Is there anything I can do to make it poop?.

It’s wet because I cleaned its vent to see better what might be going on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 51
A couple things I forgot that might also help figure things out. The abdomen is hard not squishy. I have them on non medicated chick starter, she has a heat lamp in the brooder, and I use big shavings for the bedding. The shavings are much to large for them to possibly eat. Also her vent is a little red from me cleaning her up. There was no poop clogging the vent.

After I posted this last night I continued my search and found something about coconut oil being a sort of laxative and safe for chicks. So I gave this girl some coconut oil before going to sleep last night. She seems to be doing a lot better today, definitely has pooped since then as she looks less swollen today.

I am not sure other than it being constipated. If it’s still struggling my instinct is to put a damp warm (not hot) rag on it’s bum for a bit to loosen anything up, but I am not sure if that’s really the problem since I am no professional. Hoping the chick continues to feel better.

Back
Top Bottom