EMERGENCY! Chick

Feb 18, 2021
Texas
I had a broody hen with six eggs, one hatched on day 24, and five didn't hatch. It's day 28 now and I opened the eggs to see what was wrong or if there was by any chance any chicks alive. Well I opened one which is actually alive (moving around) but seems not to be ready to hatch! It started bleeding a little and you can see the veins so I stopped removing the shell. Is there anything I could do to save it?

Attachments

• IMG_20211018_130921.jpg
    IMG_20211018_130921.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 2
Feb 18, 2021
Texas
Sounds like she was on a staggered hatch. You can finish incubating yourself, but it's not going to survive under the hen with that much shell missing and that long between ages
The thing is (I forgot to mention) is that I don't have an incubator yet. I have a heat lamp but that's all. One of the other chickens must have laid that egg days later in my broody's nesting box. I have already removed the egg from the broody hen, who had stopped sitting on the eggs anyway.

Feb 18, 2021
Texas
I keep changing out a damp cotton ball to keep the membrane wet. Is this a good idea or should I do something else?
Also, I was able to see it a little better and it's yolk sack was about the size of a blueberry... Does this somehow show how old it is?

JacinLarkwell

Crossing the Road
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Coconut oil is the best for the membrane to keep it moist and not too wet. You don't want it to dry out because the chick won't be able to get out when it's ready.

As for the yolk being that large, no clue. I don't have chicks hatching with yolk sacs of any size, thankfully so I wouldn't know how long that means

Blue Raptor

Crowing
Feb 20, 2021
Wellsville, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I had a broody hen with six eggs, one hatched on day 24, and five didn't hatch. It's day 28 now and I opened the eggs to see what was wrong or if there was by any chance any chicks alive. Well I opened one which is actually alive (moving around) but seems not to be ready to hatch! It started bleeding a little and you can see the veins so I stopped removing the shell. Is there anything I could do to save it?
I don’t know if it has much of a chance, but try your hardest for its sake! I think the warm cotton ball and oil ideas are good, what are you doing to keep it warm? Can I make the suggestion of a heat lamp (from afar)? Is that a good idea?

Feb 18, 2021
Texas
Coconut oil is the best for the membrane to keep it moist and not too wet. You don't want it to dry out because the chick won't be able to get out when it's ready.

As for the yolk being that large, no clue. I don't have chicks hatching with yolk sacs of any size, thankfully so I wouldn't know how long that means
Coconut oil! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you!
Maybe I should use something else as reference instead of blueberries. We eat a lot of wild blueberries from Costco so that's the size I'm referring to, not large blueberries from the grocery store, lol. I'll get a picture of some beads that I have that are close in size.

Feb 18, 2021
Texas
I don’t know if it has much of a chance, but try your hardest for its sake! I think the warm cotton ball and oil ideas are good, what are you doing to keep it warm? Can I make the suggestion of a heat lamp (from afar)? Is that a good idea?
I'm using one of those reptile heaters, since my broody and her other chicks are using the red heat lamp.

JacinLarkwell

Crossing the Road
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Coconut oil! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you!
Maybe I should use something else as reference instead of blueberries. We eat a lot of wild blueberries from Costco so that's the size I'm referring to, not large blueberries from the grocery store, lol. I'll get a picture of some beads that I have that are close in size.
No, I know what size blueberries are, but I don't know what that means for a yolk to be that size. My chicks either hatch without a yolk, die after absorbing it all the way min the egg, or don't make it to lockdown. So it could be 6 days from hatching or an hour and i can't help with that

Top Bottom