Emergency..clipped chicken's lower beak...now she won't stop bleeding

kimslack

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
Western NY
My ameracuana hen has scissorbeak and I tried to clip the bottom beak b/c it kept growing out so she couldn't eat properly. She has been bleeding for a few hours. Its a slow drip from her lower beak. Ihave her in a chicken cage downstairs and I keep wiping her off. I have soft food and water for her. She seems okay but it just won't stop bleeding.

My ameracuana hen has scissorbeak and I tried to clip the bottom beak b/c it kept growing out so she couldn't eat properly. She has been bleeding for a few hours. Its a slow drip from her lower beak. Ihave her in a chicken cage downstairs and I keep wiping her off. I have soft food and water for her. She seems okay but it just won't stop bleeding.

Idk if styptic powder is safe on a beak, maybe flour?

It probably needs to be cauterized (burned.) Silver nitrate can chemically cauterize wounds. I'm not sure if you could get that at your local pharmacy, but I would call around. It usually comes on QTips and is sometimes used in dressings on wounds. A vet could cauterize it. You also may just try and apply pressure with a piece of tissue, for several minutes. Clotting usually takes place in 2 minutes, if it is going to clot. Good luck.

Last edited:
She has finally stopped (I hope). I just kept pressing corn starch against the lower beak that had been clipped. She smells bad (all the blood that I have attempted to clean off her breast area) and is pretty upset but I'll leave her downstairs by the door so she will be warm...(super cold tonight). She is sleeping now which I think is good so hopefully...she'll be okay. next time I'll use a Revlon emory board.

She has finally stopped (I hope). I just kept pressing corn starch against the lower beak that had been clipped. She smells bad (all the blood that I have attempted to clean off her breast area) and is pretty upset but I'll leave her downstairs by the door so she will be warm...(super cold tonight). She is sleeping now which I think is good so hopefully...she'll be okay. next time I'll use a Revlon emory board.
Hey what ended up happening with your chicken.

Back
Top Bottom