Emergency Coccidiosis Question... Help

khill1982

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
I have 4 pullet sized, and 8 younger chickens in a coop. I recently gave them all Sulmet for cocci because 2 of the youngest ones had bloody poop. They've all been off the meds for about 3 days and everyone appears normal. Today I noticed one of the older chickens poop has blood in it. My question is, can I doctor the whole group again or what should I do?!???

Last edited:
I'm having close to the same problem. One chicken tested positive with moderate coccidiosis and i was told to treat my whole flock, which included a group still in my brooder because they were in contact. So today is Day 4 of the treatment and the older birds in the coop seem fine, while the younger group in the brooder are having bloody stool, and they WERE NOT having it before i started Corid. So this is the 2nd day i noticed bloody stool. I increased my dosage of Corid from 1 tsp to 2 tsp in a gallon of water, and within an hour of doing so, one of the birds died. Can someone please tell me what is happening to my chickens? I am so confused. It seems like trying to keep them healthy has killed one and made others sick. I need any help i can get please.

I've never used corid and using sulmet is new to me also. They say corid is way easier on the chicks bodies but treats for more kinds of cocci. It's unfortunate yours are getting worse. I was also told that by the time you see te bloody yuck in their poop that they've already had it for a few days. That could be why one died. Hope someone comments that can help us both.

The medications for coccidiosis specifically target the coccidia organisms by preventing them from absorbing the nutrients in the chicken's gut. Dose each chicken individually to ensure that each bird is getting enough medication to be effective. Just putting it in the drinking water will only help if they drinking enough.

Corid 20% powder: 1.5 tsp per gallon for 7 days during outbreaks.

Corid 9.6% liquid: give 2 -3 tsp per gallon of water for 7 days during outbreaks.

Make a fresh drinking solution each morning and keep waterers out of the sun. Blood in stool means enteritis caused by the cocci protozoa. Intestinal worms and bacterial infections can also cause blood in droppings. Follow up after treatment by adding 1 tsp Probios dispersible powder + poultry vitamins-electrolytes the first day, then just vitamins-electrolytes for 2 more days.

Thank you. So, blood in stool after treatment could just be a side effect of the parasites, thanks. I was just hoping it wasn't a new chicken coming down with it AFTER I already medicated the whole group. I'll keep my eye out for any changes. I'd still like to know if it's ok to treat the same chickens with Sulmet again and how soon?? I gave them probiotics today, and will follow up with electrolytes. I give clean water every day and everyone drinks as much as they're going to drink anyway. They're never completely out when I change the water.

Last edited:
You only treated for three days, you should have treated for a full week.
I know there's another lady,that used Corid, getting answers from my post. But if your comment was for me, I treated the suggested time. 2 tbsp/gal the first 2 days, then 1tbsp/gal for 4 days as directed on the Sulmet bottle. So, 6 days total.

Thank you. So, blood in stool after treatment could just be a side effect of the parasites, thanks. I was just hoping it wasn't a new chicken coming down with it AFTER I already medicated the whole group. I'll keep my eye out for any changes. I'd still like to know if it's ok to treat the same chickens with Sulmet again and how soon?? I gave them probiotics today, and will follow up with electrolytes. I give clean water every day and everyone drinks as much as they're going to drink anyway. They're never completely out when I change the water.

You're welcome. I wouldn't use Sulmet as a preventative or treatment for Coccidiosis. Sodium Sulfamethazine is not recommended when there is intestinal bleeding. Even Sulfadimethoxine, a safer alternative to Sulmet is not recommended during bouts of intestinal hemorrhaging. Sulfa drugs are not as effective when it comes to cecal strains of coccidiosis. You'd be much better off with Corid when treating for Coccidiosis. Here's some information for keeping it under control:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control/

Back
Top Bottom