Emergency. Coon attacked 7 hens heads skinned but alive

Thank you all. Just a little wrap up post.

After all the chaos, we lost 11 birds total. A few we were euthanized (the ones pictured, for instance) because the grim reality was that we couldn't treat and care for that many badly injured birds for the amount of time it would have taken for them to heal. And also, the bird with the split beak, for instance, would likely never have true quality of life again even if she did survive. Several others were completely blind, and so on. It was a very difficult decision to make, but at least were able to put a few of them in the freezer, so not a total loss. We buried most however, especially our favorites. Why is it always the best ones you lose? *sigh*

We were able to save a few birds, and that was much easier with only a few needing constant care and monitoring. Betty was by far the worst off of the survivors and we were able to allow her back with her flock last week. The roo was a bit too rough on her at first IMHO, but she perked up quite a bit when she was able to return ro her fluffy people. And now is fully healed if still not fully feathered.

Now we are seeing some curious behaviors from some in the flock (the last BO went broody, the lower heirarchy members grew aggressive to gain status, and the rooster all of a sudden decided to treat us humans as partners rather than competition. Mostly the behaviors are quirks rather than problematic thankfully, but we are watching closely.

Finally, I picked up 15 chicks from the local farm store. Unfortunately, I think at least 5 are cockerels :rolleyes: but... It is what it is. Hopefully its just the five and not more. :fl But there's nothing we can do about it for now, so we are just praying that its no more than 50/50. Supposedly the farm store chicks were sexed pullets too. Of course one of our Marans looks suspiciously like a Brahma to me too. But I might be just worrying too much.

Anyway, thats pretty much the update. Vetericyn is a miracle product, though I think we could have saved several more with a full spectrum internal antibiotic available. Something we were able to speak with a vet about, so we now have a better prep kit if something like this should ever happen again.

Thank you all for your support and kindness during what was one of the most difficult days of my life, frankly. What a raccoon does to a chicken is absolutely horrendous, as if it is just trying to maximize the suffering of its prey, rather than kill. I pray all your chickens stay safe from this. If we learned anything, it is to continue to build up the flock first aid kit and to always check the nesting boxes at night if the birds were free ranging. Anyway, I really appreciate all your help. God bless!

Back
Top Bottom