emergency food for one night?

Chickaroo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
I have whole corn, high protein cat food, bread, apples, canned veggies and lots of stuff in the pantry. I have someone coming tomorrow but need food for a night for my cheeps and 1 duck.

I don't think feeding them something different for one night is really going to make any difference, they will probably enjoy the treat.. and they don't really eat at night anyway, well mine don't, they sleep. Just give them what you can and put them back on normal feed tomorrrow.

how old are they? Make sure to offer grit with the food so they can digest it. I would recommend scrambled eggs/or boiled and mashed eggs- great protein and they will love it. You can also cook oatmeal, quinoa, or brown rice for them and mix it with corn and well chopped veggies.

eggs+veggies=
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
+1.

Think about human diet -- one day, or one meal, that's not the usual stuff won't kill most people. Same for chickens. Almost any combination of "whole corn, high protein cat food, bread, apples, canned veggies" will be fine for a day.

fwiw, I don't like the idea of feeding cat food to chickens because most cat foods contain chicken, but that's just my own superstitious preference.

eggs and veggies.. sounds great! I can do a potato as well.. yes I have oyster shells I can put out for them too. Thanks everyone!!

I don't have oatmeal but I have peanut butter... I think I will just make a smorgasbord(sp) and let them eat like queens and kings .
wink.png

Ok, here's what I made.. I took small taters from the garden that were getting soft in the basement, cooked them and mashed/chopped them.. opened a can of peas and carrots, drained and dumped them in, scrambled 2 eggs and threw them in, tossed in some old bread ends and some raisin bread that was going bad, went out and got some corn and mixed that in and then topped it off with crushed egg shells. Took it out to the cheeps and the first thing they went for was the corn..lol oh and the bread. I'm going to go back out in the morning and see what they didn't eat.
tongue.png
they looked very happy

Back
Top Bottom