Emergency! Goose unae to walk, shaking!!!

I've attached a video.

Young goose. Unable to walk, drunken behavior, shaking horribly.

I have no idea what's wrong with her.

Hi clbarley. Could be that she needs a good bit of vitB3, otherwise known as niacin. I can be bought in a pharmacy (not slow release, of course), and it´s also in Brewer´s yeast. Try it asap to see if it helps.

She made it through the night. Still can not walk and very wobbly.

I can get brewers yeast today! I had assumed that was only a duck issue!
Geese too... crunch up a few tablets and put it in just a little of her favourite feed so she gets a good amount in her system to start with. Hope it helps. there are other things that could be causing the problem, but is the most common.

My goose had very drunk wobbly behavior, it ended up being a blocked up crop because they were eating long grass but no grit... Killed two of my three. Get them some grit if they're eating long grass....

My goose had very drunk wobbly behavior, it ended up being a blocked up crop because they were eating long grass but no grit... Killed two of my three. Get them some grit if they're eating long grass....
Yes, another gossibility.. starving as the food can´t be digested.
Good point, Carrosaur.
@clbarley , what is your gosling eating generally?

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I got caught up around the farm today. She made it through the day. She just got done with a bath. She is still very wobbly and can not walk. She falls on her back to and can't turn over. But she is eating, drinking and pooping well.

She had free range land, and we give our geese a little all purpose poultry food. They don't eat a lot of it though they prefer grass.

How soon should I see results with the niacin if that's the issue? How often should I give her some?

Thanks for the help guys. Birds always seem to baffle me. Give me a goat or a cow and I can solve your problems but a sick duck or goose and I'm clueless!!

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I got caught up around the farm today. She made it through the day. She just got done with a bath. She is still very wobbly and can not walk. She falls on her back to and can't turn over. But she is eating, drinking and pooping well.

She had free range land, and we give our geese a little all purpose poultry food. They don't eat a lot of it though they prefer grass.

How soon should I see results with the niacin if that's the issue? How often should I give her some?

Thanks for the help guys. Birds always seem to baffle me. Give me a goat or a cow and I can solve your problems but a sick duck or goose and I'm clueless!!
Short grass is good, but sometimes the niacin is a problem. Mine free-range, but I put niacin in their drinking water, which, of course, you can do too. You should see quick results, give it to her twice a day until she´s looking better, then cut back to every 2 or 3 days once she´s back to normal. Lack of niacin inhibits growth, so they´re small, don´t put on weight, and their legs get weak. But if you´ve caught it time, she should pick up quite quickly. If you don´t see her getting any stronger during the day, give her a little more, but be careful not to go crazy with it.

Back
Top Bottom