EMERGENCY HELP PLEASE First Incubation. Pipped, shell falling away but membrane dry. 16 hrs.

Foster's Freehold

Songster
8 Years
Jun 7, 2013
South Central KY
First attempt at incubator hatching. All eggs set the same day but chicks are hatching a couple a day. Today is day 23. I have one Wellie that has pipped, about a dime size of the shell has come away but no zipping and the membrane looks dry. He's still alive and seems to be trying to zip. I'm worried about the membrane getting too dry overnight.

I rub sunflower oil on the membrane. (cooking oil).
Added benefit of rubbing oil on it is that you'll be able to monitor when the blood vessels are thinning out (less blood in them), making it safer for you to assist later on in the hatch, if it becomes necessary.

I rub sunflower oil on the membrane. (cooking oil).
Added benefit of rubbing oil on it is that you'll be able to monitor when the blood vessels are thinning out (less blood in them), making it safer for you to assist later on in the hatch, if it becomes necessary.
Thanks, I have sunflower oil. Doesn't seem to be any bleeding. I'm beginning to think he's misplaced, the pip is in the side of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom