Emergency, help!

hibxxx

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2021
Hello everyone, hope you're all doing great.
I don't know what happened to my chicks, they lost feathers around their eyes and when i woke and went to feed them their were fleas all around their cage, they've been pooping blood and snake like shaped poop, but now they're pooping normally no more blood or snake like poop. i haven't done anything, i only cleaned the cage. Their feathers have been becoming very rough and they've been losing many of them, they're very active and playful they eat well and drink well including sleep well. Can anyone please tell me what's wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Here are some pictures.
IMG-20211206-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20211206-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20211206-WA0001.jpg

I don't know the breed yet, maybe it's the breed? By the way it has some powdered food on his feathers and beak so don't take it the wrong way lol. (Last thread kind of was broken??? I'm not sure, i still don't know how to use this app.)

Last edited:
If you saw what looks like blood in the poop, they could have coccidiosis, which is highly treatable but can be deadly to chicks if not caught quickly. Do you know if they were vaccinated for coccidiosis by the hatchery? If not, you can give them amprolium AKA corid in their water. If you have a feed store nearby, they usually stock it.

I'm not sure about the feathers. Their faces don't look to have irritation, injury or disease, so it could just be that their bodies/heads are growing faster than their feathers. Growing chicks often look ungainly for awhile. Perhaps someone else who knows more can chime in about that as well as the fleas.

Best of luck to you and your chickies!

I don't know what happened to my chicks, they lost feathers around their eyes and when i woke and went to feed them their were fleas all around their cage, they've been pooping blood and snake like shaped poop, but now they're pooping normally no more blood or snake like poop.
Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?
Can you get some photos of the chicks, their poop and their brooder cage too?

If there are fleas all around the cage, then they are getting on the birds too. External parasites on young birds can really affect their health. If you are in the US, you can find Poultry Permethrin Dust to powder the birds to help get rid of the fleas. You will also want to treat their cage and surrounding area to rid yourself of the bugs.

I agree, if you saw blood in the poop, then I would treat with Corid. You can find that at TSC as well. Liquid Corid dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom