Emergency. Hen hanging her head down

whittni7705

Hatching
Mar 5, 2024
Hi all. I have a 7-8 mth old barnyard mix. She has not started laying eggs yet. She is at the bottom of the pecking order I believe and has always been on the small side.
Last week I noticed she had bright green poop(not really loose). Then on Saturday noticed her comb looked pale and kind of swollen. And my daughter said she saw her stretching her neck out and opening her mouth a couple times (like she was adjusting her crop). By Saturday night she could barely hold her head up. She was only laying in the nesting boxes and not getting down with the other girls.
Posting a pic to show you what I mean by her not acting right.
She is small and appears very light, is it possible all of these symptoms are from not eating enough?

Pictures of how she is hanging her head in the nearing box

Attachments

• IMG_4819.png
    IMG_4819.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4818.png
    IMG_4818.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Have you tried giving her fluids from a cup? She needs electrolyte water or sugar water. She could be very dehydrated, starving, or she might be suffering from wry neck or limberneck. Green poop is usually bile from not eating enough. I would try to get her drinking and if she drinks offer some cooked egg or wet chicken feed. She could be suffering from Mareks disease, or something like botulism, or perhaps she ate something moldy or bad. Dehydration, coccidiosis should be ruled out.

Praying your feathered baby gets better.
Having a bit of same issue. 5-6 y/o Sapphire Gem. Hasn’t laid since July ‘23 (severe snake scare?) Thought eggbound, due to dirty~bottom, lethargic, barely able to walk, laying down while foraging, w/head and tail drooping.
Her appetite is good & willingness to try and get to where food is, is high. It’s just her inability to walk around to forage/eat, leaving her weak/lethargic. Feeding scrambled eggs w/added calcium (away from others to make sure she gets her fill). Eats blue berries like candy, but no nutritional value. Her breast bone predominantly felt, but not really protruding out, to say.
She barely ate any eggs this morn. Spends inside. She’s out daily, because she seems more stressed inside. Have noticed she’s developed a labored breathing, in past two days. Will post pics of her foraging.

Attachments

• 20240402_181654.jpg
    20240402_181654.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240402_181525.jpg
    20240402_181525.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240402_181446.jpg
    20240402_181446.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Praying your feathered baby gets better.
Having a bit of same issue. 5-6 y/o Sapphire Gem. Hasn’t laid since July ‘23 (severe snake scare?) Thought eggbound, due to dirty~bottom, lethargic, barely able to walk, laying down while foraging, w/head and tail drooping.
Her appetite is good & willingness to try and get to where food is, is high. It’s just her inability to walk around to forage/eat, leaving her weak/lethargic. Feeding scrambled eggs w/added calcium (away from others to make sure she gets her fill). Eats blue berries like candy, but no nutritional value. Her breast bone predominantly felt, but not really protruding out, to say.
She barely ate any eggs this morn. Spends inside. She’s out daily, because she seems more stressed inside. Have noticed she’s developed a labored breathing, in past two days. Will post pics of her foraging.
Aw, poor girl.
She probably has some swelling underneath her vent area. You could drain that to give her more comfort, it'll help her breathing too.

She's going downhill fast! Stopped eating anything. Even her fav, blueberries. She cannot stand on her own. She's very weak. Cannot keep her eyes open for long. Her poo/wee quite smelly. Thinking it's the wee though. Barely any poo, but expected when not eating.

She's going downhill fast! Stopped eating anything. Even her fav, blueberries. She cannot stand on her own. She's very weak. Cannot keep her eyes open for long. Her poo/wee quite smelly. Thinking it's the wee though. Barely any poo, but expected when not eating.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. She probably has a reproductive illness, and at this point I don't think there's anything you can do. :(

Back
Top Bottom