Emergency incubation - I have no idea when these eggs will hatch

So, how big a deal is it that the hatched chick is rolling the remaining egg all over the place? Is there anything I should do about that? It has pipped!
That's a tough call...can help with 'cheerleading' can also cause problems.
I like to leave them in groups of at least 2 when balancing brooder and bator occupants.
Do you have other chicks in a brooder?

That's a tough call...can help with 'cheerleading' can also cause problems.
I like to leave them in groups of at least 2 when balancing brooder and bator occupants.
Do you have other chicks in a brooder?
No other chicks. I don’t know if you saw the op, but these were the last 2 viable eggs left after a big rat snake ate a bunch of the eggs I had a broody sitting on in the barn.
The pip has been staying at the top since I first spotted it, so I think the chick hasn’t been spinning it since that started. It’s obvious that it really wants some company. It’s been snuggling with the egg. 🥺
I will try to keep them together unless the pip gets rotated. If the rolling starts again, I've got the brooder ready, so I *could* get chick number one out. I’ve also thought about trying to really quickly slip an o-ring under the pipped egg so it can’t roll as readily?....

One success, for sure!
This is Lucky. 💛 Lucky is at least part Salmon Faverolles. Could be full. Could be a barnyard mix, but (s)he has 5 toes and feathered legs.

How long should I leave Lucky in the incubator waiting for the other egg?

View attachment 2689748
Hello, Lucky! :love Glad she made it out, even with the weird-shaped air sack. One on my last hatch also had a weird-shaped air sack too - that was on the wrong end of the egg. And the chick pipped where the air sack should have been. Made me a nervous wreck, but she made it out and is doing fine.

So, how big a deal is it that the hatched chick is rolling the remaining egg all over the place? Is there anything I should do about that? It has pipped!
My hatched chicks liked to pretend to play pool with the other eggs. The pips ended up all over the place. I slipped a wet sponge in to increase humidity and rolled the pips back to the top as needed. 😂
No other chicks. I don’t know if you saw the op, but these were the last 2 viable eggs left after a big rat snake ate a bunch of the eggs I had a broody sitting on in the barn.
The pip has been staying at the top since I first spotted it, so I think the chick hasn’t been spinning it since that started. It’s obvious that it really wants some company. It’s been snuggling with the egg. 🥺
I will try to keep them together unless the pip gets rotated. If the rolling starts again, I've got the brooder ready, so I *could* get chick number one out. I’ve also thought about trying to really quickly slip an o-ring under the pipped egg so it can’t roll as readily?....
The o ring thing might work, as long as no one can eat it or get it around their necks. 😁 I had a slightly staggered hatch last year, chick 1 and chick 13 were exactly a week apart. That poor last egg got knocked here and there, and into other eggs. I was afraid it would get cracked. It also didn't get to be locked down properly with the no-turning thing because the hatched chicks wouldn't leave it alone... he turned out fine. At least you don't have another egg for this chick to roll the pipped egg into so that's a plus. 🙂 Hoping the second chick is out by now! 😍

Hello, Lucky! :love Glad she made it out, even with the weird-shaped air sack. One on my last hatch also had a weird-shaped air sack too - that was on the wrong end of the egg. And the chick pipped where the air sack should have been. Made me a nervous wreck, but she made it out and is doing fine.

My hatched chicks liked to pretend to play pool with the other eggs. The pips ended up all over the place. I slipped a wet sponge in to increase humidity and rolled the pips back to the top as needed. 😂

The o ring thing might work, as long as no one can eat it or get it around their necks. 😁 I had a slightly staggered hatch last year, chick 1 and chick 13 were exactly a week apart. That poor last egg got knocked here and there, and into other eggs. I was afraid it would get cracked. It also didn't get to be locked down properly with the no-turning thing because the hatched chicks wouldn't leave it alone... he turned out fine. At least you don't have another egg for this chick to roll the pipped egg into so that's a plus. 🙂 Hoping the second chick is out by now! 😍
Thanks! I wound up leaving them together because the pip was always on top. This morning, egg number 2 hatched!
Meet Charm:
108740F3-C943-42A9-9252-817F76DB1AE2.jpeg

Once she was out I wicked most of the water out of the incubator with paper towel so the chicks would dry out faster. I separated them for a little while because Charm just wanted to sleep all the time, but Lucky has much more energy today and kept pecking at her. Especially her toes! I figured it was time Lucky was introduced to food. Now they’re both in the brooder. 😂
I’m so grateful for everyone’s advice here! This was the perfect outcome, and my expectations were so low because of how it all started.

Back
Top Bottom