Emergency Incubator

ScooterMcPooters

Chirping
Oct 24, 2018
Hello I’m new to this site. Unfortunately this last weekend I lost both of my beloved Cayugas. They were about 6-7 months old. I had a male and female. She had just started laying and laid a total of 10 eggs. I still have 7 of them. After I lost them I immediately took the eggs out of the fridge to try and salvage them. I let them get to room for about a day. I had to put together a “make shift” incubator. I currently have a ten gallon glass aquarium with a heat lamp on the screen top. Currently my temps have ranged from 90-103. My humidity has been about 55-60%. It’s hard to regulate the temps without an actual incubator but I’m doing the best I can. I guess I’m just wondering how viable they may be. I’m sure they are most likely fertile. I figure in the wild the temps must fluctuate quite frequently? Obviously I wasn’t planning on incubating eggs right now so what I have is what I have. Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance. I’m just devastated about losing them and hoping for a glimmer of light on this dark situation.

Those temp swings are way too wide to expect much success. 103 is close to deadly zone. 90 isn't warm enough for consistent development of all organs so if they hatch they could be deformed.
I would lose the aquarium and switch to a Styrofoam cooler. It will hold heat better and you can poke some holes in the bottom for oxygen. There isn't a good way to get oxygen into the bottom of an aquarium.
Do you have any means of regulating the temp, like a thermostat or are you just relying on it to self regulate?

Thanks for the reply. The temp has since been more stable around 100. I have a digital thermometer and just trying to adjust the distance of the heat lamp until I get that sweet spot. I’m afraid they are probably already dead but I was sure hoping. The aquarium was the only thing I had on hand I could use. They have been in there for about 48 hours with unstable temps. I just miss my poor duckies and figured I would try and save the eggs if I could. But it has proven to be difficult.

Thanks for the reply. The temp has since been more stable around 100. I have a digital thermometer and just trying to adjust the distance of the heat lamp until I get that sweet spot. I’m afraid they are probably already dead but I was sure hoping. The aquarium was the only thing I had on hand I could use. They have been in there for about 48 hours with unstable temps. I just miss my poor duckies and figured I would try and save the eggs if I could. But it has proven to be difficult.
From someone who did the whole adjust the distance to get the right temp thing.....

It can be done.... but you won't sleep for a VERY long time.

I highly recommend you get something that will keep a steady temp. or at the very least set up with a dimmer switch so that you aren't constantly moving things keep in mind day and night time temperature swings in your house will affect a home made incu.

if by any random chance you're in NS I'd be willing to loan you my incu.

From someone who did the whole adjust the distance to get the right temp thing.....

It can be done.... but you won't sleep for a VERY long time.

I highly recommend you get something that will keep a steady temp. or at the very least set up with a dimmer switch so that you aren't constantly moving things keep in mind day and night time temperature swings in your house will affect a home made incu.

if by any random chance you're in NS I'd be willing to loan you my incu.
You’re sweet to offer. I’ve looked into incubators but I’m just concerned I’ve killed them already trying to figure it out. Over the course of today I’ve got it stable. unfortunately I work 11 hour days 4 days a week so I can stay home all day to monitor the temps. I will possibly purchase a decent incubator for future endeavors but I’m unable to right now. Kinda don’t want to invest in one yet if their chances of survival are slim at this point. I’m so sad

You’re sweet to offer. I’ve looked into incubators but I’m just concerned I’ve killed them already trying to figure it out. Over the course of today I’ve got it stable. unfortunately I work 11 hour days 4 days a week so I can stay home all day to monitor the temps. I will possibly purchase a decent incubator for future endeavors but I’m unable to right now. Kinda don’t want to invest in one yet if their chances of survival are slim at this point. I’m so sad
keep them going and candle them at day 5 you might be able to see something by then. even if you don't it doesn't mean they're not growing. it depends how long they were colder. but too hot is worse than too cold.

keep them going and candle them at day 5 you might be able to see something by then. even if you don't it doesn't mean they're not growing. it depends how long they were colder. but too hot is worse than too cold.
I’m more concerned about how long they were too warm. Only time will tell! I won’t give up on them just yet. Thanks guys.

Even a box inside a box will work. Everybody has boxes.
Oxygen will be very important after the first week.
There’s a fan above and an open top with a screen. I doubt they would be oxygen deprived. It’s easentially the same set up I use for my reptiles. But I’ve also never done this before

Back
Top Bottom