Emergency! Infestation, mites everywhere, including our house!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristenm1975, Aug 14, 2010.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I hope to goodness the exterminaters can correctly identify what we have. I'm worried that they'll just try to convince us they know what they're doing and charge a fortune. My hubby is so desperate to have his life, home and wife back, he'd probably go for it if they told him we've got an infestation of special baby elephants. [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Was the sofa set brand new from a store, or new to you via craigslist or something like that?

3. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The sofa set was from craigslist. Also, just checked on the bugs in the bathroom and see that they are blithely walking through a thick layer of DE! [​IMG] Does anyone know if that is supposed to kill them right away or if it does the job slowly?

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    He lives in motel and hotel during the work week

I travelled a lot when I was working and stayed in hotels of varying quality. Here's a couple of tips to help avoid bringing home uninvited guests.

If it's a large chain hotel, or a better than average hotel, ask them for a brand new pillow - they'll have them in stock and are usually happy to provide one. Much better than sleeping on someone elses drool even if the pillow slip is nice and clean. There's no point taking your own, it'll pick up nasties from the bed and they'll travel the world with you.

When you take off your clothes to get into bed, don't dump them on the floor or in the hotel cupboard - put them in your suitcase/overnighter, you have to put them in there anyways in the morning so why let any nasties climb in for a free ride home?

If in real doubt about the hygiene and you have no other option - sleep in the bath, it won't be the best nights sleep you've ever had but at least you'll be sleeping alone. [​IMG]

Now I'm really itchy.​

5. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:I travelled a lot when I was working and stayed in hotels of varying quality. Here's a couple of tips to help avoid bringing home uninvited guests.

If it's a large chain hotel, or a better than average hotel, ask them for a brand new pillow - they'll have them in stock and are usually happy to provide one. Much better than sleeping on someone elses drool even if the pillow slip is nice and clean. There's no point taking your own, it'll pick up nasties from the bed and they'll travel the world with you.

When you take off your clothes to get into bed, don't dump them on the floor or in the hotel cupboard - put them in your suitcase/overnighter, you have to put them in there anyways in the morning so why let any nasties climb in for a free ride home?

If in real doubt about the hygiene and you have no other option - sleep in the bath, it won't be the best nights sleep you've ever had but at least you'll be sleeping alone. [​IMG]

Now I'm really itchy.

Thank you for the tips. He for the most part stays in Holiday Inns or Marriott's. So for now he hasn't brought anyone home. I will tell him about the pillow thing for sure. I think that I am fairly sure that he is very picky about where he puts his clothes while traveling also.

But remember when I was helping my parents move back to Washington from Arizona, that my mother booked us in to a Super8 that wasn't very far from the highway. I know that I woke up in the am and there was a bug on the pillow. I think that was the fastest I have ever gotten out of bed. I never saw any more, so I am fairly certain that none of the little buggers came home with me. It is still a nasty memory.

6. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought these photos might help as they show bed-bugs at all ages & sizes.

http://bedbugger.com/photos-of-bed-bugs-and-signs-of-bed-bugs/

I unfortunately came across them often when I worked in the US & had to stay in hotels booked by the companies I worked for......lots of itchy nights & yes, I have had to sleep in the bath-tub on occasions.....!! [​IMG]

Good luck with getting rid of them!

Hattie

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Save your DE for drying your coop out after a rain, it wont stop an infestation of bugs like you're having. Even sevin dust wouldnt be practical in this situation. Wait for the professionals (exterminators) to show up and give you an evaluation and let them do their job of eradicating the bugs, and more than likely they'll have to re-treat.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have no help or advice to give, but now I'm so itchy from reading these posts and looking at the links!

9. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It seems like in general you all are saying that this does not sounds like something that could have originated from my chickens. Is that correct?

The thought did occur to me this morning I may have gotten us started with bird mites because I picked up a few pretty feathers last time I was at the beach. I put them in my car. I guess its possible they could have climbed onto me as I was in the car and then rode on into the house and spread out. Does that sound logical? Yikes! I remember my Dad always telling me not to pick up bird feathers but I'd forgotten and just assumed it was him being picky again.

10. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I think you are right, it is not the chickens. I am leaning towards the sofa set as to the origins. How is it going today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by