EMERGENCY New layer may have Egg Yolk Peritonitis?

That is great to hear! Just be careful not to over do it with the garlic and oregano (I use fresh oregano too). It sounds like you're doing it right... Too much garlic (so I've read) can cause anemia. But it's supposed to take a lot more garlic than most people will ever try to feed their chickens...nevertheless, it's a good idea to watch them closely and not over do anything...

That's great! Sometimes if the weather has been VERY hot our girls will have trouble putting a shell on their egg..maybe that is what happened with yours as well. I would try to get some amoxicillin or baytril on hand just in case she keeps having problems....

That is great to hear! Just be careful not to over do it with the garlic and oregano (I use fresh oregano too). It sounds like you're doing it right... Too much garlic (so I've read) can cause anemia. But it's supposed to take a lot more garlic than most people will ever try to feed their chickens...nevertheless, it's a good idea to watch them closely and not, over do anything...
Thank you for the heads up on the garlic. We have them back on plain water, now. I did notice that the tea seemed to give my other 2 more runny poops. I'm going to do some further research.

That's great! Sometimes if the weather has been VERY hot our girls will have trouble putting a shell on their egg..maybe that is what happened with yours as well. I would try to get some amoxicillin or baytril on hand just in case she keeps having problems....
Maybe it is. I will try and get some oral antibiotics. My TSC only had injectable options but recommended Diatomaceous earth to be used as an antibiotic. I have not tried this and am apprehensive. Any thoughts?

Thank you for the heads up on the garlic. We have them back on plain water, now. I did notice that the tea seemed to give my other 2 more runny poops. I'm going to do some further research.
I've made the tea and I've also just minced up a clove of garlic. At first my chickens (and ducks) did not like the garlic bits - now however, they appear to love it.

Maybe it is. I will try and get some oral antibiotics. My TSC only had injectable options but recommended Diatomaceous earth to be used as an antibiotic. I have not tried this and am apprehensive. Any thoughts?
I have used fish mox (amoxicillin) before and it has worked. I don't think diatomaceous earth will help, but I could be wrong. Did you look in the cattle/goat section of ur TSC? Also if you have some people amoxicillin that will work too in a pinch I think...

That looks like a lash egg. They happen sometimes. sounds like you are doing ok with her. How is she acting now? slumping around or about normal? Fish shops can have antibiotics in pill form, tetracycline and amo pills sometimes other stuff too. I used to dissolve in water and use it on my lizards in the past. Sometimes even the local wallyworld or K mart may have these in their one aisle fish / pet departments too. People amox will work too but let's not start the karen fest on using human perscription drugs on animals. Please keep us updated

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom